1989 Chevy Suburban Can not stay on, or will not start

ENRICOBR
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Ok, my 1989 Chevy Sub, 5.7 liter, 4wd will not start. The truck has been sitting for 3 years - with out being started. It had a 1/2 tank of gas sitting in it for those years.
I changed the oil and filter, the PVC valve, the fuel filter, air filter, battery and added 24 ounces of dry gas for the 20 gallons of gas in the tank. I also cleaned the carb with carberator cleaner and added about another 5 gallons of fresh gas. The truck will only start if I pour gas or spray carb cleaner in the carberator, it will stay on for 3 or 4 seconds, and then die. In that time, if I press the gas peda, l it will rev as much as I press. Right before it dies, the check engine light comes on. What should I try?
Thursday, November 19th, 2009 AT 3:14 PM

Welcome to the forum, use a gage and check fuel pressure, TBI around 10 psi. Can you see the injectors spray gas, engine cranking. Even if the injectors are spraying, 5 psi, will not start a v8 engine, in my opinion. If you crank it long enough and the injectors are spraying, you might finally get enough gas to start, but, it will run poorly and die quickly. Any codes?
Thursday, November 19th, 2009 AT 3:24 PM
ENRICOBR
Thank you very much for your reponse. Where would I hook up the gage? The engine cranks and for the 4 seconds its on, it sounds great.
Thursday, November 19th, 2009 AT 3:32 PM
It's easiest for me at the fuel filter. Not enough room in the engine compartment for a old man to climb up in there, stay squatted down, tying into the supply line at the throttle-body. Last time I tried that, I have to remove the coil and bracket to get enough room to back out the supply line.
Thursday, November 19th, 2009 AT 4:04 PM
ENRICOBR
Ok, I looked at the carberator and saw no gas coming out of the injectors while tring to start it. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
Thursday, November 19th, 2009 AT 7:28 PM
ENRICOBR
I checked the injectors and saw no gas spraying out, I am going to disconnect the fuel filter and see if gas shoots out, to try and rule out the fuel pump. Any suggestions as to what else I could try to clean out the entire fuel system?
Friday, November 20th, 2009 AT 8:54 AM
Use a noid lite on injector electrical connector, see if there is a pulse, engine cranking. Basically, check for B+ and ground at the injector.
Friday, November 20th, 2009 AT 9:45 AM
ENRICOBR
Thank you for your reply. I have fixed the problem, and I will share with you what I did. I took a very basic approach. First - I looked at the injectors and noticed no spray while cranking. Then, I disconnected the fuel filter and noticed no flow of gas coming out of the fuel line while cranking. Then, I checked all the fuses, they were OK, I also checked for power at the fuel pump, and there was power. So now, I pumped some air into the fuel line, using a bike pump, to rule out a clogged fuel line, and I could hear gas bubble in the tank. I then tried to start it again, with no luck. Finally, I dropped the tank, disassembled the fuel pump assembly, and replaced the pump, O-rings and gasket only. I put it all back together again, and it was a great success! Thank you for all your input!
Saturday, November 21st, 2009 AT 9:07 AM
Glad you got it going your way.
Saturday, November 21st, 2009 AT 10:10 AM