2005 Chevy Silverado Vent Door Actuators - Passenger Side

KARSTCSG
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have gone through the work of replacing my melted blower motor resistor wiring and blower motor resistor. Upon completion of this two of the three vent door actuators no longer worked. I have learned that there are three actuators total in my dash - 2 for the climate control (1 driver, 1 passenger) and 1 for changing the vent direction (front, feet, and defrost).

With the temp control not working for the driver's side I replaced the easy to reach actuator beneath the dash with one I picked up at a salvage yard ($30). The passenger’s side temp control worked so there was no need to replace the one behind the center consul. The vent door actuator beneath the dash behind the airbag is the last one and the one that controls the vent direction.

Three questions:

1) I have read that disconnecting the battery often causes the actuators to stop working and possibly correct themselves. When I replaced the driver's side actuator it did not work when it was connected; however, when I reconnected the new actuator and it started working I reconnected the wire to the old actuator to test if it would work. It did! So I now have an additional working actuator.

2) Is there a computer code or something additional that needs to be cleared to "reset" the actuators?

3) If neither of these items are a will work. How do I remove the dashboard to access the actuator behind the airbag.

Do you have any other thoughts on the situation? With this being a common problem I am surprised that they have not issued a recall.
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 10:08 AM

DOCFIXIT
Hi Auto AC system has diagnostic capabilities so best way to solve problem is have AC diagnostic test to see what is at fault. The time and money spent in parts replacing and possibility adding to problem will be less expensive having test done.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate
Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 8:32 AM

Sponsored links