2005 Chevy Silverado Possible Leak

DAPAYNE
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I'm having a problem with disappearing coolant. 10 days ago I put a gallon of coolant in the system, have only driven the truck about 100 miles since then and the collant level is down significantly. There are no apparent leaks, nothing under the vehicle after it sits for a while, no hissing from the radiator or evidence of leaks with any of the hoses. I removed the dipstick and no evidence of fluid in the oil. Any idea where it might be going?

Thank you
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 2:24 PM

BRIAN 1
Some vehicles may experience a gradual coolant loss over time. A very low percentage of cylinder head(s) manufactured with an embossed Castech logo may develop a porosity crack in a very specific area.

Inspect the cylinder head assembly to determine if the casting was manufactured by Castech. This can be accomplished by inspecting for their casting logo located on top of the intake port, under the rocker arm support rail and in the spring deck cavity portion of the cylinder head. If inspection reveals evidence of coolant witness marks (1), replace the entire cylinder head(s) assembly.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/147643_head_2.jpg

check this first while you pressure testing it,remove a valve cover.done a few of these,pretty common.
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 2:43 PM