2005 Chevy Silverado Oil gauge

KIMOSABE
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My I start my truck and run it for a while, the oil gauge pressure reads the correct pressure, then it will drop and not indicate "Zero" pressure. The first 6 times it has happened, I would stop and check to make sure I have oil. It will not tell me if the oil is circulating. What can I do? Do I need to change the oil pressure gauge or the oil sending unit?L
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 2:44 PM

SCOTTY DEE
Do we know the oil pressure is adequate? I.E. Manual oil pressure test.
+1
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 7:09 PM
ARTEMISNFM
The stepping motors in the instrument cluster go bad and have to be replaced, usually the speedometer goes first. The dealer charges $300.00 but if you do a search on eBAY FOR CHEVY SILVERADO INSTRUMENT CLUSTER there are several repair options, most require you to remove cluster and send it to them. Ceheck and make sure oil reaches the top of your engine, If it does, probably the gauge is the problem
Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 10:44 AM
SCOTTY DEE
Don't buy clusters on e-bay. I know customers who have been stung doing just that. Go to the GM dealer and order the cluster, and most of them have to be uploaded with a GM Tech II when the oil life monitor, etc. Are in the driver information center.

This way you don't have to be without a cluster for several days, and you'll get the updated version of the new cluster.
Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 10:51 AM
KIMOSABE
I removed the oil fill cap, but unfortunately could not see the inside of the top of the engine; there is a small tube from the top of the engine to the fill cap.
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 12:07 PM
SCOTTY DEE
The manual oil pressure gauge would be put in place where the oil pressure sender is located. Once the test is complete, reinstall the sender unit.
Saturday, February 13th, 2010 AT 9:51 AM