Brake lights not working

SSTEVE694
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Electrical problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 32500 miles

my brake lights do not work, but the cab brake light does. The flashers will work and turn indicators also. So I know its not in the fuse, and changed out both bulbs

Saturday, April 19th, 2008 AT 8:02 PM

BLACKOP555

Sounds to me like you have a burned circuit board for the brake lights, does yours all share the same fillament for turn signals/brakelights/hazards?

-2
Sunday, April 20th, 2008 AT 9:07 AM
JAYBENDER

I'm having the exact same issue here. Did you ever
figure this out? Just found out a few days ago.

2005 silverado. Brake lights do not work but all other signals and the cab brake light works.

Tested everything, switch is fine, receiving power to the fuse panel under the hood and in the cab fuse. Grounds look good, bulbs good. No visible wiring issues.

What would you recommend as a way to test the switch? I have spend 8 hours testing every wire in/out of the turn switch and the fuse panel to no conclusions. I tried jumping across the switch itself to no success. Tried unplugging it to no success.

The white(brake power) is good coming out of the switch going into the fuse panel and into the turn lever itself. The CM brake light tests good. The rear brake fuse jumps up and drops back down to zero on the multi meter. Testing the backside of the fuse panel blue wire tests good 12v when pressing the brake pedal which is odd. From the wiring diagram all this doesn't make sense. I am looking for a way to make sure its the switch itself before purchasing one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anyone figure this out yet?

2005 chevy silverado

Sunday, April 20th, 2008 AT 3:13 PM
BLACKOP555

Its a bad turn signal switch. The brake lights run through the turn signal switch, if switch is bad you will have no brake tailights but you will have the cab bed light.

Get the junk yard part, oem is way to expensive.

+1
Saturday, April 26th, 2008 AT 8:20 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey guys,

There is a fuse that runs just the lower brake lights, here is a guide and some wiring diagrams to help you trace the problem down. Check to see if there is power at the brake lights to see if the problem is a ground issue.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-lights-not-working

Please run some tests and get back to us.

Best, Ken

+1
Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 3:12 AM
JSCHEVY
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2005 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

The brake lights on the bed are not working. However the brake light on the cab is working. I replaced the bulbs and I checked the fuses, but that was not it. Please help me figure out what to do?

-1
Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 3:14 AM (Merged)
JAMES W.

First question I always ask is; do you have a trailer connector spliced in behind the bumper? 75% of the time, that's where the problem is. Please advise.

JSCHEVY

I believe I have one but it is factory installed. Does that make a difference? And, what in particular would be the problem there, a short or is there a fuse there?

JAMES W.

You will want to test your trailer connector to see if you have brake lights there. You're looking for an "open" in the circuit somewhere. The brake light switch has to be functioning or the cab light wouldn't be working.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_brake_lights1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_brake_lights2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_brake_lights3_1.jpg

-1
Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 3:15 AM (Merged)
JSCHEVY

I tested the harnesses that adjoin on the connection block. I get main power coming in. However, when I test the brake connections, no power. I have power to my tail lights, blinkers and all, which look to be coming from that block as well. A parts guy said that usually those blocks go out on one full side, which sounds to me like if it was the block then I would have either the right or the lefts side lights out. You said that it could be an open, but I don't know where to test it to find out, because I am not getting power to my brake lights from that block. What suggestions do you have?

-1
JAMES W.

You're right, the chances of both sides going bad are poor to none.
Let's start from square 1. We'll be testing at the socket for the "turn signal flasher module", under the left side of the dash. The brake lights go through this module.
The brake lights are fused seperately from a 25amp fuse(# unknown) in the underhood fuse block. This fuse should be hot all the time.
Fuse good, yes, test the orange wire at brake light switch.
Orange hot, yes, push the brake pedal and test the white wire on the BL switch.
White hot, yes? Test the white wire at the flasher module, terminal B, with brake pedal pressed.
Hot, yes?, check fuse #9 in fuse block by flasher module.
Fuse good?, yes, check the junctions and connections on the light blue wires going back to the brake light lamps.
Fuse #9 should be hot when the brake pedal is pressed.Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_05_silverado_flasher_1.jpg

+2
ROBERT GLENN FRANCIS

Well It's now the end of April 2016 and my chevy silverado 3500 has a similar issue. Everything works except the bed lamps for the brakes. I hooked up the boat trailer and all checks out perfect. It's the twighlight zone issue. I can not find fuse #9 because the label on the lid does not show numbers for the fuses. I wish I could understand the schematics better but my studied discipline is in another field I can only get close at best. Any help would be most appreciated.

DVIDOR88
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2005 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 88000 miles

My brake lights are not working. I checked the fuse and the bulbs, both are fine. Could there be a disconnect somewhere?

Could be the brake switch, follow the brake pedal arm till it meets up to the brake support bracket its here unplug it and jumper the connector-did it come on?

-2
FRED@SMITH-COMPANY.COM
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2005 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 33000 miles

One brake light does not work. All fuses are ok but left brake light does not work. I put in a new bulb & fuse but nothing.

-1
MASTERTECHTIM

Take a close look at the tail light socket, make sure it does not look like it is melted at all. You might have a bad socket

SCOOPMAIL
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

My brake lights on my bed do not work, but the cab brake light does. The flashers will work and turn indicators also. I know its not in the fuse, and changed out both bulbs

WRENCHTECH

That is likely a bad Combination switch in the steering column. Both lower lights run through it so the turn signals can cancel the brakes lights when necessary. It's a pretty common failure.

+1
RCCOMPTON
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Cab brake light and passenger rear brake light work but the driver rear brake light doe not. I replaced the bulb (the bulb works because when I use the key fob to unlock the truck the top rear brake light lights up). I thought I read on the internet that the light blue plug/connector going into the junction box was for the driver side brake light so I disconnected it and inspected it and no corrosion (California truck). I sprayed electronic cleaner on both the plug and junction box and reinstalled and it worked. Then the brake light came on when brake pedal was applied. Later in the day the brake light quit working again. I went through the same process again and it hasn't worked since.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Unemployed Robert

Tuesday, April 18th, 2017 AT 12:23 PM (Merged)

Check the ground at rear of frame by junction box and then make sure the wires are pinched at top

2CARPROS MAX
  • 203 POSTS

Thank you for your prompt response. However, regarding my 2005 Chevy
Silverado I do not see a ground wire-everything is routed through harnesses.
Did you mean checking the ground (maybe one of the other plugs that plug
into the junction box?) As part of the junction box?

Thank you in advance,

Robert Compton

Related Brake Light Not Working Content

Recommended guides