CHEVY 4X4 GRINDING NOISE

2005 Chevrolet Silverado

D64chevy

Noises problem
2005 Chevy Silverado 8 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 74,000 miles

I have a 2500 HD that has the push button 4wd control. About every 100-200 miles when slowing 45-35mph there is a loud grinding noise and it will not quit until I come to a complete stop. When I take off again everything is fine.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 25, 2010 AT 11:31 AM

Does this only happen in 4wd? Can you tell aprox where the sound is coming from?

D64chevy

It only happens in 2-wheel drive and sounds like its coming from the transfercase area. I have never had it happen in 4-wheel drive and the lights on the 4wd controls do not not blink. The service lights do not come on either.

Jacobandnickolas

I would start by checking the output bearing from the transfer case (rear). With no tension on the drive shaft, see if there is any play where the yoke goes into the transfer case.

Let me know what you find.

D64chevy

It has roughly an 1/8" of play side to side movement and moist. That is definetly a problem. Thank you! Will I have to replace the tailshaft?

Jacobandnickolas

They should be able to replace the tailshaft bearing and seal. It shouldn't be too bad as far as cost.

Let me know if you have other questions and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
CV Axle Replacement
Wheel Bearing Replacement
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage