CHEVY SOME DASHBOARD GUAGES DISPLAY INCORREC

2004 Chevrolet Silverado

joe23423

June, 8, 2010 AT 5:19 PM

2004 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado with 34000 miles on it, and some of the gauges on the instrument panel give incorrect readings (sometimes). The gas guage sometimes doesn't go up, says it is over full (points straight to the right) or points straight down.
Pretty much goes all over the place. The battery gauge always is over the max charge. I can temporarily fix this by unplugging the battery and plugging it back in, but that's a hassle and it just goes crazy again after starting it up a couple more times. What's going on? How can I fix this problem without paying $600 to the dealer? If there isn't one, is there a workaround as in can I turn the battery on and off without having to unscrew everything?

dennyp

June, 8, 2010 AT 8:35 PM

You will need to replace the instrument cluster. It will need to go to the dealer for programming. The downside is that you can't drive it if you replace the cluster. It has to have the correct miles and hours programmed into it before driving. If not, it could go into tamper lock.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Dynamat Door Installation