2004 Chevy Silverado Battery indicator gauge registering lo

FSEYMOUR
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Chevy '04 Silverado 4.8
I removed the stock radiator and fan and installed the radiator and dual electric cooling fans from a '05 Silverado in place. My problem is that at idle, the battery indicator gauge registers lower than the normal position. When I accelerate the gauge registers normally. When I drop down to idle, the gauge dips down towards the discharge side. Can I correct this by installing a higher amperage alternator? I have looked all over the internet for an answer to this question and cannot find anyone who can give me an absolute answer. I know the stock alternator states ' 105 amp w/std' and the larger replacement alternator states '145 amp w/opt'. I do not understand what this means. Will the plug for the 105 amp alternator fix the 145 amp alternator? Can I just swap out the two or what! Can I get an alternator that puts out 200 amps to fit my truck to correct this issue? Any help I can get, will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Frank Seymour
fseymour@cox. Net
Thursday, October 1st, 2009 AT 4:07 PM

Hi there fseymour and TY for the donation this is what keeps the site going.

You need to have the computer controlled of the field generation duty cycle and charge indicator control of the alternator checked out its built within the computer

Types of alternator used with this vehicle:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_alty1_21.jpg

Thursday, October 1st, 2009 AT 5:11 PM