2003 Silverado Battery Drain

GOLDNI007
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2003 1500 ext. Cab, 5.3L automatic, 45K miles, has a battery drain after car is powered off. Battery has been replaced, alternator load tested. Battery is dead every morning. I did a parasytic drain test, found out that if I pull 15 amp radio fuse under hood, battery does not go dead. Is this a radio problem, or a BCM problem? It sounds to me the radio functions are not going to sleep as they should, and I know the radio controls and depends on a lot of things. Where should I start?

Thanks!
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007 AT 10:14 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

With an amp meter attached to the battery, what is the amp draw with the doos closed and key off. Same test with radio fuse out what is the differance in amp draw?

-1
Thursday, July 26th, 2007 AT 12:57 AM
GOLDNI007
At first it was about 2-3 amps(have an old Simpson meter, hard to read it), then after about a minute, it settled down maybe 0.3 or somewhere in that area. Today, I just took the radio fuse out of the fuse center under the hood after letting the engine idle about 30 mins. Then something just told me to check the 2 bolts that hold the alternator on. They were both loose, so I tightened them up to specs. I checked every other ground wire I could find, except the starter. The one at the engine block was loose also. After that, I took the fuse out of the radio, hooked my ampmeter to the slots, and shut the door, and locked it with my key fob. The radio circuit jumped up to about 2 0r 3, then settled down to almost zero. I watched the meter for a half a pack of cigs and 2 co-colas, and the ampmeter never moved.
Thursday, July 26th, 2007 AT 7:12 PM
GOLDNI007
So far, so good. Voltage is at and has been at 12.34 volts since I tightened the alternator mounting bolts. I have the radio fuse in, the doors are locked with the key fob. I'll see how it is tomorrow. I'm gonna drive it about a hundred miles Friday, so that should be enough to charge the battery.
Thursday, July 26th, 2007 AT 10:22 PM
GOLDNI007
After leaving truck overnight, it has only 11.4 volts this morning. Ran truck for a few mins. Alternator wire to jumping port is VERY hot to the touch. Is this normal? I still show no drains with ampmeter except when I open or close door. Then it settles down to less than half an amp, which I consider usual.

There sure are a lot of lookers on here, but hardly any solutiins? What do I need to do to help?
Friday, July 27th, 2007 AT 1:09 PM