Windshield Washers are not working

SR-71
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
V8 four wheel drive automatic Windshield washer do not operate. I have checked the fuses which are in the box under the hood. I have changed the relay with no luck. Are there other fuses to check? Any help appreciated.

Tim
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 5:53 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

It sounds like you have a washer pump that has gone out here is a guide and video that will show you what you are in for when changing the washer pump motor out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-windshield-washer-pump

and

https://youtu.be/ezjJz_N5cFQ

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
+3
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 6:08 PM
SR-71
No. The relay does not click and the motor does not run.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Okay, since fuses and relays are good than the washer motor is most likely at faulty. supply twelve volt direct battery power to the washer motor, if it does not run then it is bad.

Here is a wiring diagrams so you can see where you lose power

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

If the switch did not have power than not only would the washer be inoperative but the wipers and signals as well. Wiring diagram is below..

Please let us know what happens.
-2
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 9:33 PM
SR-71
I would think if the switch in the turn signal lever has power, that the relay should click regardless if the motor is bad or not. The washer motor relay does not click at all even though it is good.

The washer fluid container is buried between the battery and the head lights and will require extensive dis-assembly to get to the motor and wiring, so an electrical diagram of the washer motor circuit would be nice before hand.

Thanks for the diagram. Agreed. When I push the wash tab on the turn signal arm forward to start the cycle, the wipers cycle several times and then shut off as they should, however the washer fluid pump does not run. Again, today I checked the washer motor pump relay and found that the fuse is good and that the relay does not energize as it should even when a known good relay is substituted. Since the relay does not energize, the motor cannot run and the wipers can.

I assume that this is a computer controlled function and no wire actually goes to the relay from the switch. That being said, I ran the battery dead a couple of months ago and am wondering if this could have something to do with it. Could this function be messed up in the computer?

Thanks again.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 5:02 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
This could be a wiring issue still yet. The orange wire that runs from the wiper motor module (under the windshield cowl) goes to the fuse than to the relay. If this wire is disconnected/damaged than there will be no power getting from the wiper module (computer) to the fuse. If the fuse does not have a connection to the wire than there is obviously no way to send the signal on to the relay, therefore the relay does not energize. Check this orange wire out, again it is under the cowl. If it I good then the wiper motor module may be faulty, but with everything else working as it should, I find it hard to believe that the switch or the module would really be at fault here.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 6:22 PM
SR-71
I will check the yellow wire. In looking at the diagram it appears (it is small and hard to read) that the yellow wire from the module to the relay is a ground. The other side of the coil is hot and protected by the fuse. Is this correct?
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 7:14 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yes, I know the forum does not like these large wire schematics but I blew it up best I could to fit here.

There is no yellow wire to the relay. The orange wire is to the relay and is the one that needs inspected. The yellow wire goes to the wiper fuse while the orange wire goes to the washer fuse than to the washer relay.
+1
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 8:25 PM
SR-71
Okay, then I should be able to jump the positive twelve volts directly into the output of the relay (via the relay socket) and energize the pump to verify if it works or not.

I found the broken wire and repaired it. The washer pump now works as it should.

Thanks for your help.
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 8:15 AM
RANDYEE
  • CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I drive a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado LS Ext cab (3 door) with 114,000 miles. It has the 5.3 vortex engine.

My windshield wiper fluid stopped spraying 2 days ago. I turned all noise down and listened as I activated the spray and do not hear the pump working. Is there another troubleshooting method I should use?

I am not a mechanic however am mechanically inclined. How much of a chore is it to change the windshield washer pump? Is there a specific fuse that I should check first?
Friday, January 4th, 2019 AT 10:22 AM (Merged)
M_H_RITZEL
Usually the washer pump is by the resevoir. Sometimes they do go bad, see if it is connected to the resevoir, if it is take the washer resevoir out and bench test the motor. If bad replace it. Its not hard to replace, be careful not to damage the plastic housing.
BOWDY
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
How do you change a windshield waher pump on a 2000 chevy silverado 1500?
Friday, January 4th, 2019 AT 10:23 AM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
Drain the washer fluid out, unplug the connector, and reove the pump, twist it out, or twist lock ring, which ever you have.
MRS7441
I am in the middle of doing the same job. It looks like you need to removed the battery, and battery plate. Remove the resevoir and the pump is easy to change.
DMPRICE
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADOCHEVROLET SILVERADO
How do you replace the windshield fluid tank and pump on a 2001 chevy silerado 2500HD gas version
DENNYP
You will need to remove the inner fender to gain access to the tank.
HUSKERFAN3131
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Well I recently bought a 93' k1500, and the windshield whiper fluid does not work. It has fluid in it and I cant figure out what it is. I know that the circuit board for the wipers needs to be replaced due to it only has one speed for the wipers, but could that be the problem? Any suggestions?
Check for power at the washer fluid pump power there the pump is a bad. If you hear buzzing when you engage the washer and no water coming out the lines could be clogged up. No it has nothing to do is to the wiper running on 1 speed.
NATEBYU
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADOCHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 1988 chevy silverado 5.7 liter v8. 235000 miles C1500.

The windshield washer pump doesn't work. I replaced the pump a couple years ago. I also replaced the switch in the column and the whole column itself. The fuses look good. I checked the plug that goes into the pump for power while I held down the washer fluid switch and there is no power getting to the pump. I can't figure out why I am not getting power to the pump. I don't think it is the switch because I have had three different switches and I don't think it is a fuse because I tested them. What else could it be?
BOOTDOG
Check for loose an broken connections, also if your using a test light, make sure you have a good ground
-1