CHEVY OIL PRESSURE GAUGE

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

01js

February, 28, 2010 AT 5:57 PM

2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 248000 miles

when I start the truck the oil pressure gauge jumped to 80. As long is running it stays on 80 when I turn the truck off the needle returns to 0. I checked the oil level and it is good when I restart the truck the needle jumps up to 80 again. Could you please help me in trying to find out what the problem may be.

bluelightnin6

February, 28, 2010 AT 7:17 PM

Hello and thanks for donating!

You need to check the oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gauge first. Pressure should be 18 psig at 2k RPM. You could simply have a faulty oil pressure sensor / switch sending false readings to the gauge.

01js

February, 28, 2010 AT 7:51 PM

How do you replace a oil pressure sensor and is it ok to drive the truck in the mean time?

bluelightnin6

February, 28, 2010 AT 7:54 PM

If that is the fault then yes its fine to drive, its simply sending a wrong signal to the gauge. It is located on the top rear of the engine. Always disconnect battery before making electrical repairs. Then locate sensor and disconnect its connector. Unbolt from location to replace.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco