2003 CHEVY SILVERADO OIL PRESSURE GAUGE

• 01js
  • 2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 248000 miles

when I start the truck the oil pressure gauge jumped to 80. As long is running it stays on 80 when I turn the truck off the needle returns to 0. I checked the oil level and it is good when I restart the truck the needle jumps up to 80 again. Could you please help me in trying to find out what the problem may be.

Sunday, February 28th, 2010 AT 5:57 PM

• bluelightnin6

Hello and thanks for donating!

You need to check the oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gauge first. Pressure should be 18 psig at 2k RPM. You could simply have a faulty oil pressure sensor / switch sending false readings to the gauge.

Sunday, February 28th, 2010 AT 7:17 PM
  • 01js

How do you replace a oil pressure sensor and is it ok to drive the truck in the mean time?

Sunday, February 28th, 2010 AT 7:51 PM
  • bluelightnin6

If that is the fault then yes its fine to drive, its simply sending a wrong signal to the gauge. It is located on the top rear of the engine. Always disconnect battery before making electrical repairs. Then locate sensor and disconnect its connector. Unbolt from location to replace.

Sunday, February 28th, 2010 AT 7:54 PM