2003 Chevy Silverado Check Engine Light and Low Idle

TDPITMAN
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
It was recently -40 degrees F, and I started my truck to warm it. I have a battery warmer, block heater and oil pan heater installed. During the idling, my idle rpm's dropped to below 500 and I started to have black debris come from my exhaust. The exhaust smelt really rich. I drove it home, approx. 2 miles and the check engine light came on and would blink over 30 mph and I experienced reduced power. I changed the spark plugs over the weekend and the 4 from the drivers side were completely black and dirty. The 4 from the passengers side looked normal. I unplugged battery for 20 minutes, re-hooked it and check engine light went away. I ran the truck today for 20 minutes. At first it was like normal again, then when I pulled into my driveway, the idle dropped again and the truck shutoff and the black debris came back out of exhaust. Any ideas?
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 12:19 AM

JACK42
Your best bet will be to scan the PCM for the codes it is storing, this will point us in the right direction for repair. It could be several things causing this, but for only one side of the engine to go rich, I would definitly have it scanned to see what the PCM is registering as a fault. Get back to me with the code/codes and we will go from there.
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 7:31 AM