AC recharge

LEXYANDARIANA
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My AC seems to be working okay. I get it to about 42-44 degrees on setting 2, when I turn it up to setting 5 it seems to lose is coolness. I have been using a candy thermometer to test it and it just does not seem to get cold enough. My wife's Grand Caravan get to about 36 degrees. It takes my truck a good amount of time to reach 42 to 45 degrees. How cold should it get and how do I locate the low pressure side so I can recharge it if needed? What else could cause it not to get colder?
Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 8:43 PM

KEN
Hi,

It sounds like the system is a little low on Freon. Here is a diagram on where the low side port is which is on the side of the accumulator, and here is a guides that will help you charge the system correctly:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_462.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/air-conditioner-how-to-add-freon

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help and tell a friend.

Best, Ken
-1
Monday, March 6th, 2017 AT 12:45 PM
BRYCE PAYNE
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
There are two hook ups on the high pressure side; I think. The AC is blowing hot air, and the compressor is working. I just want to charge the system, but I cannot find anywhere to connect the "Walmart bottle and gauge". It will fit on one of the connections on the high pressure side, it reads in the read while on or not, higher when not. Can you help?
+8
Monday, March 6th, 2017 AT 12:46 PM (Merged)
KEN

The two fittings are on the high side the first one from the condenser is the high side to one after that is the low side, the orifice tube is in between.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, June 4th, 2018 AT 1:45 PM
CW4RKELLEY
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
What is the correct Freon amount for a AC recharge 2500HD truck with a 6.6TD, front air only?
Sunday, October 28th, 2018 AT 10:54 AM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
1.60 lbs R134a 0.7 KG. Here is a guide to help you recharge the system.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re-charge-an-air-conditioner-system

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed. Cheers
+10
DHL00DHL00
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have added R1234a with oil mix to my A/C system and some charge enters the system to give cool air in the cabin. The pressures drop to the 30 range when the compressor comes on. Days later the amount of cool the air gives has dropped. Do think my system is leaking R134a or was the initial cooling effect due to the fluid entering the system?
WRENCHTECH
You can't just arbitrarily add refrigerant like that without knowing how much is in the system. You should have the system totally evacuated and recharged with the specific capacity the system holds. Not enough is a problem but too much is also a problem and you can't rely on pressure readings because they can be effected by too many other things. The pressures mean nothing at all unless you know exactly what the refrigerant charge is.
CONFUCIOUS_24
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADOCHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a '04 Silverado. 47,000 miles and a 5.0 litre Vortec engine. The other day it go up to 98 degrees and I went to hit my air and all I got was hot air blowing out of the vents. I tried to have it recharged and that didn't seem to work either. Do you have any idea what the problem is? And how much it might co$t me? Thank you for yor assistance
ROADRUNNER118
Had similiar prob. Sorry I dont know the tech terms but if you look under your hood agright side against the firewall you will see a round canister with the a/c lines going into it. Screwed into the side of canister you will see a 1/2 inch round by 1 1/2 inch long sending unit with an electrical type plug with 2 wires. You can take this switch off without losing any of the cooler fluid so if you have a similar car yuo can switch them to try. The cost of this is approx. 20 dollars and you will not have to recharge your system.
SSSHINE2121
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADOCHEVROLET SILVERADOCHEVROLET SILVERADO
03 Chevy Silverrado, air conditioner will at times freeze
you out and there are days when it will not work at all. Some days it will kick off and on-go from blowing cold air to straight hot, back and forth. What could it be. The coolant is great, does not need to be recharged.
JELLYBEANZ
2004 Chevrolet Silverado, same issue.
I brought my truck to a repair shop and this is what they told me:
Your vehicle has two actuators, if you have dual climate control (which is what I have). And the actuator on the driver's side is out. The driver's side is where I have my problems. It is really pricey to fix, so see if it's under a warranty or something. My estimated cost was $800.

My problems were similar to yours. My a/c, even when on full-blast cold will switch to the heater. My solution? Don't use the heater, and bundle up. Use the a/c, if it works. It's really sporadic.

(Hopefully you don't live in a place where there's seasons :) )