AC recharge

LEXYANDARIANA
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My AC seems to be working okay. I get it to about 42-44 degrees on setting 2, when I turn it up to setting 5 it seems to lose is coolness. I have been using a candy thermometer to test it and it just does not seem to get cold enough. My wife's Grand Caravan get to about 36 degrees. It takes my truck a good amount of time to reach 42 to 45 degrees. How cold should it get and how do I locate the low pressure side so I can recharge it if needed? What else could cause it not to get colder?
Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 8:43 PM

KEN
Hi,

It sounds like the system is a little low on Freon. Here is a diagram on where the low side port is which is on the side of the accumulator, and here is a guides that will help you charge the system correctly:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_462.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/air-conditioner-how-to-add-freon

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help and tell a friend.

Best, Ken
-1
Monday, March 6th, 2017 AT 12:45 PM
BRYCE PAYNE
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
There are two hook ups on the high pressure side; I think. The AC is blowing hot air, and the compressor is working. I just want to charge the system, but I cannot find anywhere to connect the "Walmart bottle and gauge". It will fit on one of the connections on the high pressure side, it reads in the read while on or not, higher when not. Can you help?
+8
Monday, March 6th, 2017 AT 12:46 PM (Merged)
KEN

The two fittings are on the high side the first one from the condenser is the high side to one after that is the low side, the orifice tube is in between.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, June 4th, 2018 AT 1:45 PM