2003 Chevy Silverado

BECKERS
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Our 2003 chevy silverado stalls when you stop and drops down to 0 rpm. If we hold onto gas it runs. Also it drags like timing is off but does start right up and runs good.
Saturday, October 18th, 2008 AT 7:19 PM

AUTOFIXER2
I have two thoughts. One is the i.A.C. Motor isn't functioning properly or the bore that the i.A.C. Mounts to has excessive carbon build up and needs to be cleaned. I heard that i.A.C. Motors are no longer used. This may be true. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me because the engine needs a way to get air at idle. That's what the i.A.C. Motor does. When you decelerate the throttle plate closes thus shutting off air flow through the throttle body into the engine. The i.A.C is mounted below the throttle plate. It has a pintle that blocks a bore in the t.B. When the pcm senses deceleration, the pintle retracts and opens the bore to let air in. If the i.A.C. Motor fails and you come to a stop, the engine isn't getting air unless you press the accelerator. That would explain why it stay's running when you press the accelerator. Now, having said all that, it could be several other things and have nothing to do with the iac. My second guess has to do with a common gm problem from the late 80's and 90's. The t.C.C. Solenoid. (Tourqe converter clutch) there are 3 parts of the tourqe converter that join together as your speed increases to lock the engine to the tranny. Sometimes a solenoid is used to to lock up the converter. When you decelerate the converter should unlock to allow the engine to idle. The problem was the solenoid would fail and the converter didn't unlock and the engine would stall when you came to a stop. Anyway, run that by your local mechanic. Let us know
Saturday, October 18th, 2008 AT 11:20 PM