2002 Chevy Silverado brakes grinding when under 10 mph

GREENJEANS
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2002 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 78000 miles

i have recently been to a garage for the problem. Their computer showed the driverside front wheel bearing sensor assembly needed replacing. Since I replaced it, I still have the problem of the brakes grinding, and a hard braking feeling but ONLY when coming to a stop or slow traffic, and always under 10 mph. Brakes are fine otherwise. All pads and rotors are like new. Any suggestions?

Monday, October 12th, 2009 AT 11:26 AM

QUAGMIRE86

Check the ABS sensor lead (wire with magnetic pick-up unit) that goes into the top of your wheel bearing. (The toothed ring for the ABS is inside the wheel bearing). If the sensor is not reading the ring, it will tell the ABS unit that a wheel is slipping (when it is not), causing the ABS to activate just before you come to a stop. I had the same issue with my 2000, the wheel bearing was fine, there just was an issue where the bearing housing where the ABS sensor bolted to it had rust underneath the sensor where it bolts to the bearing housing. Just a mm of rust threw the sensor out of range making the ABS system think that the wheel was locking up. (Common problem where the city uses salt on roads). I thought I had to replace a wheel bearing ($$$$$) but just carefully pulled the sensor out, cleaned the corrosion off the housing and re-inserted the sensor. No more problems.

Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 8:03 AM
GREENJEANS

Thank you for your advice

Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 8:12 AM