2002 Chevy Silverado battery light

MYSOFTAIL98
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2002 Silverado Z71 5.3L with 91K miles. My battery light comes on for a few seconds and then off again while driving. Also sometimes the votage jumps back and forth from 14.6 to 13.4 at idle. I have replaced the alternator with a new delco 130 amp. I also change the belt at the same time. The battery is about 7 months old and I have tested it just to make sure its good. Lastly I had a new PCM installed from the dealer. Where should I look next? Thanks for any help.
Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 5:10 PM

ZACKMAN
Check your belt tensioner. Over time, the spring in the tensioner assembly gets weak/damaged and the belt gets loose and not properly tensioned. This will cause the light to turn on.

You may also wish to bring the vehicle to a parts store and have them check the entire electrical system, not just battery, but starter and alternator.
-1
Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 11:39 PM
ZACKMAN
While I understand that you have replaced the alternator, you should check the entire system to make sure that the ENTIRE system is working properly. The diagnostic is meant for use with GM scan tool, but you can do some of them yourself. Start by checking if the new alternator is working properly. You may have an intermittent problem, that can be a result of poor connection from the alternator and the PCM. The best way to check the entire system is to bring the vehicle to an auto parts store and have them test the entire electrical system. If the test comes back good, and you still have the intermittent problem, you have poor/damage connection.
Tuesday, April 14th, 2009 AT 6:40 PM