2002 Chevy Silverado

PAUL2DEBA
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Began checking fuel system because engine does not catch on first try. Nothing drastic, just have to turn it over twice usually. 58 psi with key on, engine off. 50 psi with engine running, but does not hold pressure at all after shut down. Drops immediatly to zero. No indication of fuel leaks noted. Book says possible leaking injector or bad check valve on fuel pump module. Engine seems to run smooth enough mileage ok. No check engine alarms shown. I'm guessing leaking injector would give rougher engine operation, so this seems to leave the fuel pump, but would like any recommendations or advice before I spring for a new pump and do the labor. Thanks
Saturday, August 14th, 2010 AT 9:32 PM

Have you checked the regulator? Is there any fuel getting into the vacuum hose to it? Finally, allow the fuel pressure to build, take a pair of vice grips and pinch of the rubber hose to the fuel rail and shut the key. See if the pressure drops. If it does, the problem is most likely the it's the fuel pump. If it loses fuel pressure, it's the regulator.

Let me know what you find.

Sunday, August 15th, 2010 AT 8:54 PM