2001 Chevy Silverado Stalls when cold

SPIEDER68
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hi,

This morning it was fine but when I tried to leave for lunch the engine stalled until it warmed up, about 180deg then it holds idle. Idle is a little low at 500rmp, usually around 700rpm. No noticable performance problems, acceleration is fine and no strange noises. Not sure what to make of it, cold/clogged O2 sensor and clogged injectors.
Saturday, February 14th, 2009 AT 1:33 PM

Do you have a check engine light and when was the last tune-up?

Try cleaning out the idle air control valve and test the throttle position sensor voltages and see what happens-
Saturday, February 14th, 2009 AT 1:40 PM
SPIEDER68
No engine light and it just hit 3000 miles from the last tune up. I've never missed one, yet. I do live in Minnesota and would not be surprised if some build up got something to stick, I'll check the idle valve. Can I just soak it in some gas or spray with WD40?
Saturday, February 14th, 2009 AT 1:52 PM
Here's how to clean the IAC valve:

Disconnect the air intake ductwork from the throttle body.

Start the engine, then increase and hold the idle speed to 1,000 to 1,500 rpm.

Spray the throttle cleaner or engine cleaner into the throat of the throttle body, aiming for the idle air bypass port (usually located on the side or top of the throttle body opening). Give this area a good dose of cleaner (about 10 second's worth).

Turn the engine off to allow the cleaner to soak into the IAC passageway.

Wait about three minutes.

Restart the engine, rev and hold at 1,000 to 1,500 rpm, and repeat the cleaning process again.

Turn the engine off again, and reattach the air intake ductwork to the throttle body.

Start the engine and rev and hold to 1,500 to 2,000 rpm until no white smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe.

If this fails to make any difference, you can remove the IAC valve from the throttle body and spray cleaner directly on the tip of the valve and/or into the ports in the throttle body. Let the cleaner soak awhile, repeat as needed, then reinstall the IAC valve, start the engine and run it at 1,500 to 2,000 rpm as before until no white smoke is seen in the exahust.

If the idle speed still surges after this, the IAC valve is defective and needs to be replaced.
Saturday, February 14th, 2009 AT 2:46 PM