Security light

KCPEESTOL
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The security light comes on occasionally and stays on. Also, the truck will not start occasionally. It turns over like it wants to start but does not. I eventually get it started. The fuel pump has been replaced twice now. What could be wrong with it?
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 6:05 AM

BMRFIXIT
These trucks had problem with the BCM which is the car alarm. Here is the location so you can replace it, but you will need to have it programmed to the truck before it will run. The cost is about $130.00.

On the lower left side of the I/P below the steering column.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 6:09 AM
LIZ8907
Nice! I did what you said and then had my truck towed free from AAA to the shop and now all fixed! I love this site :) Cost me $80.00 but I know the guy.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 6:12 PM
DEHAAN
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When starting vehicle security light does not come on after vehicle starts have no gauge readings thought it was the gauge cluster so tried it in another pickup everything worked fine got new pcm but scared to try it already locked one up
Friday, July 6th, 2018 AT 3:10 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
We test those with a bidirectional scan tool that allows us to operate the gauges from the tool.

Those PCM's have to be programmed before they can be run. It is more likely a BCM issue than a PCM issue if it is a module problem at all.

You should first pin test all the power and grounds at the cluster plug.
JACK42
Right behind the steering wheel? Did one end of the wire go to the ignition switch/tumbler assembly? Does it crank and not start or not even turn over?
JACK42
I do not understand what you are saying "it will stay cranked"? Does it start, run then shut off? The security will shut down the fuel pump. Try this to see if it will relearn the key:

1- Turn key to 'run" position, try to start and let key return to "on" position.
2-After approximately ten minutes the security light should turn off.
3-Turn ignition to "off" position and wait five seconds.
4-Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of three cycles equaling thirty minutes.
5- Start engine.
KYLE WROBLESKI
Steps worked!
JEROMECHARLES
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Sometimes I try to start my truck and it will not crank, during this time the security light comes on and stays on. I have to wait a good ten to fifteen minutes before the security light goes out and the truck to start.
DRCRANKNWRENCH
There is an error in the security system module.
Get it checked for trouble codes and come back if you need them translated.
WOLFENPIXELS
Bad theft module or wrong key my friend. :)
DRCRANKNWRENCH
Well, that will have to be looked at.
The security module could be bad or the key. The microchip in the key may need to be replaced and re-flashed. Either way, The modules plug and play and you can find one on eBay. The key are cheap, but you are looking at $100.00 to $200.00 for dealership, and it has to be dealership, to flash your key with the proper code.
The trouble code will only tell you so much.
If you have not had any issues with the key fob opening windows, etc, that is further indication that the chip in the key is bad.
MONTY527
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Okay, I am dumbfounded. I sent my six cylinder 4.3 with air, 2wd, about 130,000 miles to the mechanic to change this sensor in the steering column. He did and after a week the security light came back on. Albeit, intermittently once again. This morning I woke up and the thing will not start. It would crank, but I would here a subtle backfire in the exhaust when I would try giving it a shot of the pedal. But it would not start. Just crank. Not even a burp. Tonight I came home and it started right up and ran great to the garage! I understand that this sensor in the column senses the voltage for the ignition. It is so intermittently that I cannot figure why this truck has this light coming on or if the intermittent starting problem is related. Some times with or without the light being on it will not start.

There are no other codes coming up. I do not notice any performance changes either when the light is on.

Being that the sensor was just replaced I am thinking that there is something further up the line that has to do with the
sensor performance that is messed up?

I just had a new fuel pump and sending unit put in and a fuel filter because that finally went. But it has been running great until now.

Does anybody have any ideas. It has new plugs, wires, etc? When it runs it runs great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PHOENIXCDLLC
I am having similar issues, first, for no reason, I would get in the car, turn the key and nothing. Not a crank, spark, nothing. I would wait five to fifteen minutes and then it would start again. I finally was told to replace the starter. Now, I am having the issue where the security light turns on, while driving. I also have the issue of the car turning over, but not starting. I wait five to twenty minutes, depending on what it decides and it fires. This is after my routine of opening the car door, locking it or turning the key etc, in case it is a security malfunction. Should I tell you about the gas gauge that only decides to work once in awhile? I will let you know what I find out. I am thinking of replacing the ignition switch for starters (no pun).
-1
PETERT1943
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Security light stays on and headlights will not work.
MERLIN2021
Have you done a relearn on the pass-key?
Gm pass lock relearn- Ignition to "run" position, try to start and let key return to "run" position.
Approximately ten minutes security light will go off.
Turn key "off" and wait five seconds.
Repeat two more times for a total of three relearns.
Turn key off, then start it.
PETERT1943
I followed your instructions but I still have the same problem.
The security lights stays on all the time and the headlights will not work. Dome light and cab light will not work. If I disconnect the battery for a time and when it is reconnect the the light work until the security light comes back on.
MERLIN2021
You will need to scan it for codes, must be a stored code for the security system. Other thing you might check is all fuses and connectors. Associated with ignition and security.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k
663X2X4
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • 125 MILES
V-8 5.3 liter engine. Several times over the last five years when go to start, the engine turns over and starts to run but shuts off immediately, like the electrical path is going open as soon as the starter kicks out. Today when it happened, It started fine but the security light came on. It has done this off and on and most of the time I just turn it off and restart and the light goes away. Today when I went to restart is when it failed to keep running. I have tried exercising the key back and forth, wiggling the shift lever (automatic) and numerous things. Sometimes it will start sometimes not. Do not think anything I am doing is making it work. Most of the time if I just walk away, come back in a few minutes, it will start and run fine for weeks to months with no problem. It has happened twice now in the last month. Any ideas?
ASEMASTER6371
Did you try another key?

663X2X4
No, but I did turn it 180 degrees. The key fits and turns fine, not aware of any electronic features with this age of vehicle.