2001 Chevy Silverado electro-hydraulic control unit

YAHWEH
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
This unit continuely runs even when the ignition is off. What precedures or matenance must I take before I take my truck in for service. And is there option to take of this problem. What tools would I need to use that would really help.
Tuesday, July 29th, 2008 AT 9:36 PM

DENNYP
The ABS control module needs to be replaced. To get it to shut off, look for the large ABS fuse in the underhood fuse panel. Remove the fuse. You can remove the module from the hydraulic unit without removing any brake lines. You will need a torx bit (I think it's a T-15 or T-20). Remove the torx screws from the top of the module and lift the module off of the hydraulic unit. Put on the new module, bolt it down, and re-install the fuse.
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008 AT 1:53 PM
DENNYP
XTooltipElement
Service Information
2001 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Brakes | Antilock Brake System | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 720110

Electronic Brake Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure
Important: After installation, calibrate the new EBCM to the tire size that is appropriate to the vehicle.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Important: The area around the EHCU MUST be free from loose dirt to prevent contamination of disassembled ABS components.

Thoroughly wash all contaminants from around the EHCU (1).
Disconnect the electrical connectors from the EBCM.
Loosen or remove the bolts (4) securing the EHCU mounting bracket (3) to the frame rail (5).

Gently move the EHCU down enough to remove the mounting screws that fasten the EBCM (2) to the BPMV (1).
Remove the EBCM (2) from the BPMV (1). Removal may require a light amount of force.
Important: Do not use a tool to pry the EBCM or the BPMV. Excessive force will damage the EBCM.

Clean the BPMV to EBCM mounting surfaces with a clean cloth.
Installation Procedure
Important:

" Do not reuse the old mounting screws. Always install new mounting screws with the new EBCM.

" Do not use RTV or any other type of sealant on the EBCM gasket or mating surfaces.

Install the EBCM (2) on to the BPMV (1).
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the new screws in the EBCM (2).
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 5 N m (39 lb in) in an X-pattern.

Install or tighten the EHCU bracket mounting bolts (4).
Tighten
Tighten the EHCU bracket mounting bolts to 25 N m (18 lb ft).

Connect the electrical connectors to the EBCM.
Lower the vehicle.
Connect the negative battery cable.
Revise the tire calibration using the Scan Tool Tire Size Calibration function.
Return to Diagnostic Starting Point - Antilock Brake System .
© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_379478_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_379484_1.jpg

+6
Wednesday, July 30th, 2008 AT 1:58 PM