2001 Chevy Silverado

JAYJAY11
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Automatic 180000 miles

my truck sat for about a week locked I went out to unlock it with the remote and it did not work I than unlock it using the key and the dome light did not come on and when I tried to start it it would turn over but not start, I tried unhooking the battery, I tried to reset the code by turning the ignition on for 10 min. Off for 5 sec. Back on for another 10 off and back on and that didnt work, it got a code reader and pluged it in and it didn't even turn on so I tried it on my car and it worked so I tried it back on the truck and nothing. It has got me stumpped if you can help id appreciate it thxs
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 3:36 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Is the battery at full charge?
OF not, charge it properly and post what is then happening when turning the key.
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 7:27 PM
RHALL77
Hey Service Writer, I hope you dont mind me chiming in on this one, but I would also suggest disconnecting the body control module for thirty seconds and see what happends. Sounds to me like that module locked up and needs to be reset. In most cases if this happens I would suggest replacing it.
Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 9:32 AM
SERVICE WRITER
I'd be offended if you had an alternative answer and didn't speak up!
Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 7:59 PM
RHALL77
Thanks service writer. I just saw someone in the mod forum get mad about it.
Saturday, March 27th, 2010 AT 8:15 AM
JAYJAY11
I did put a charger on the battery and still nothing, I looked up in the haynes book and they said something about the bcm so I took it out and was going to take it to the dealer and see if they can test it. The security light will not go off no matter what it runs the battery down so I unhook the ground.
Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 3:24 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Did you try what rhall77 said first?

I'd be curious to learn if it can be bench tested.

So you are saying that the battery is at full charge and it does not crank?
IF so verify the battery is good and fully charged.

OR it cranks and does not start?
Anything been done to the ignition switch?
You might be stuck with having to have a shop that has a scanner capable of turning the security light on and off. If it doesn't a bad cluster may be present. And just the source of the drain.

I think I would treat it as a parasitic draw and see what circuit has the drain. "Google" testing a parasitic draw if you don't know how. When you find it, I think you'll find that fuse is the one on the same circuit of the security light.

Hey rhall77,
Anyone that gets upset about getting more help; makes me question their intentions of trying to help.

This is a comment from a site that is similiar to this one from a member ( I replace the site with XXX:
Thanx to everyone that did reply. XXX is better than ANY tool I have in my toolbox. Never under estimate the power of XXX to solve complex issues. There are so many knowledgable people out there that are more than willing to help and offer suggestions. XXX is priceless. Thanx XXX and all of it's members for sharing their knowledge to solve these issues. I'll be back regularly to offer my ideas to others.
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 8:23 PM