Problems starting warm

• 1 POST

Engine Mechanical problem Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

my dad has a 2001 chevy silverado and it has problems starting warm. It takes a while when trying to start warm, but doesn't have this problem cold. Any solutions?

Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 7:27 PM

• 213 POSTS

When you say 'starting' warm or cold, do you mean that the vehicle will spin over but not start or will it not even spin over? I'll try to cover both. If it's spinning over but just has an extra long spin time before it starts, perhaps the fuel in the fuel rail is draining back to the tank. There's a check valve in the fuel pump(in the tank) that is designed to prevent this from happening. If the check valve fails, all the fuel in the rail and lines drains back to the tank, therefore you have to spin the motor longer until the fuel pump pumps the fuel back to the engine. Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the service port. Start the engine and observe the pressure. Now turn it off and observe the pressure. It should maintain the fuel pressure for a little while. It will, however, gradually decrease and the fuel cools off. If it drops rapidly after stopping the engine, the check valve is bad and the fuel pump should be replaced. NOW, if it won't turn over at all when it's warm, the cause is most likely the starter motor. Heat will cause either the solenoid or starter motor to lose contact internally and therefore, when you turn the key to start it, the voltage does NOTHING because the circuit is OPEN. This will require the starter to be replaced.

Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 7:51 PM