2000 Chevy Silverado Speedometer

CHRISARICE
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2000, 6.0 liter engine, Silverado HD 2500 4x4 with about 135K miles. I jumped one of my older vehicles (which I have done in the past) with my truck with no issues and later in the day when I went to drive my Silverado I noticed that the speedometer was pegged out at the far right 110 mph when the truck was shut off. I started the truck and it drove fine, but the speedometer didn't move, it stayed at the 110 mark. Could this be my Vehilce Speed Sensor (VSS) or a fuse issue (couldn't locate one specifically for the speedometer). I check the fuses and they were fine, but I did not check the fuses under the dash by the brake pedal. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Friday, April 18th, 2008 AT 5:49 PM

SERVICE WRITER
IF the speed sensor was bad, I would expect that a transmission fault and check engine light would show.

I am more inclined to think that a wiring issue or cluster problem is happening. This is what Mitchell shows. I can provide a wiring diagram or other information if it will help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_speedo_2.jpg

Friday, April 18th, 2008 AT 6:04 PM