2000 Chevy Silverado service engine light

ASHLOCKJ
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I having trouble with my pickup sevice engine light I took it to a shop and they put there tester on and I have a vacuum leak they said chearge me a $100 to fix. A month later sevice engine light comes on again so I take it back now they tell both of my converters or bad charge me another $100 to test. Then they told me it would cost around $600 for them to replace both converters. I found a muffler shop and they only wanted $375 to chage both converters. So I had them change them but they couldn't reset the service engine soon light but they told me to disconnect the battery and the computer would reset the light well theat didn't work. Is there anyway it could be reset without going back to the shop and paying another $100. My pickup only has just a little over 100000 miles on it I talk with other chevy pickup owners and they said the have a lot more miles on there truck without no problems. Thanks John
Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 9:55 PM

SATURNTECH9
Wow a 100 just to reset the code you can get a cheap code reader for 40 that will read the code's and clear them. Unless your state allows auto part's store's like auto zone to do that.
+1
Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 10:05 PM
02REDCAMARO
AutoZone doesn't charge anything to read trouble codes. But I had a similar problem with an '02 V6 Camaro. Cat converter went bad. Blocked exhaust,
exhaust manifolds got hot, had engine misfire. Replaced bad converter ( honeycomb mesh was in pieces on engine side of converter). Still didn't fix misfire. Still had engine misfire, especially when engine hot and under load (running A/C, had passengers, etc.). Replaced all ignition coils, SHAZAM, trouble fixed. Computer won't tell you if coils are bad, not smart enough. Coils are dirt cheap on eBay, I am not a seller of such parts. Before I replace coils, I replaced plugs and wires, but I was pretty sure that they were good already, and I was right.
Friday, July 9th, 2010 AT 8:40 PM
02REDCAMARO
You can reset a computer and clear all trouble codes if you disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and then reconnect it. Try it sometime, it really works. If after you do it, and you get a check engine light soon, you probably have an obvious problem.
Friday, July 9th, 2010 AT 8:42 PM