CHEVY REPLACING THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Wmartin1963

November, 8, 2010 AT 10:20 AM

2000 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 265, 00 miles

I am looking for information on replacing the rear differential in my dads truck. What is involved and approximate rice if anybody could help with this info I would appreciate it.

Wrenchtech

November, 8, 2010 AT 10:28 AM

If you planning on replacing the entire unit with a used one, it's a few hours labor and moderate difficultly, but if your planning on taking that one apart, I strongly recommend you reconsider because it requires very expensive equipment to set up properly.

Wmartin1963

November, 8, 2010 AT 10:44 AM

Thanks for the help, I am planning on replacing the unit with a new or used one. If I can ask this also, do I have to replace the axles and everything back there of just the gear unite of the differential?

Thanks again.

Wrenchtech

November, 8, 2010 AT 10:51 AM

No, you want to change to entire unit. Changing any part of it would involve tricky disassembly. You may have to transfer the brakes over.

Wmartin1963

November, 8, 2010 AT 11:12 AM

OK, so I have to replace the whole back end, axles and such, what do you mean " transfer the brakes over "?

If I can ask one more question on this. Do you know where I can find an exploded view of this to take a look at?

Thanks again.

Wrenchtech

November, 8, 2010 AT 11:16 AM

Your old brakes may be in better shape so you would transfer them to the new axle.

Wmartin1963

November, 8, 2010 AT 11:17 AM

Ah, I guess that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Axle Seal Replacement
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250
Differential Fluid Level Check
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads