2000 Chevy Silverado Chevy Silverado stalls

TASOCD65
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I dorve approx.75 miles, everything worked fine, when the engine ran high rpm's and had trouble getting up to 30-40 miles an hour. Turned the corner after approx. 1/2 mile and the ngine died. Tried turning it over and it would but not start. No service engine light. Called for a tow, towed back the 75 miles, dropped off in driveway and it turned over and ran normal, prob. Due to the cooling off. Lately I've had low coolant light come on I would check it and seemed normal in the overflow, would add some more and would stay off for a few months, last two days ive noticed drips of coolant. And now with this no low coolant light either. The last few weeks, ive noticed about 2-3 times it would lag, hesitate with power but it was just momentary and didn't last like this. I've also had over the last 6 months a service engine light come on and read the code and it was emmisions, the technician told me it was common with chevy and mostle erase the code when it comes on and thats about it, its been happening more lately. I didn't drive it tonight after the tow because I didnt want it to stall somewhere. But starts and runs fine.
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 10:15 PM

I don't think the coolant issue and engine dieing are related. First, the EVAP code that was read should have been taken care of. But again, that shouldn't have caused the engine to die. Without a check engine light, it makes me lean toward a fuel issue. Usually, if a sensor goes bad, the check engine light will show. (Usually but not always). What I need you to try is to let the vehicle idle to see if it dies again. If it does, I need you to check if the engine is getting spark to the plugs (if you need directions, let me know) and if there is proper fuel pressure (again let me know if you need directions). At that point, we will know what is causing the engine to die, electrical issues or lack of fuel.

Try that and let me know what you find.

Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 11:19 PM
TASOCD65
I've had it idleing for about 20 mins and drove approx. 1 mile and got it up to about 45 mph. It seems just fine now, but now very cautious to drive it any length. All the gauges seem normal, still no check engine light. I replaced the fuel pump and filter about 1 1/2 yrs ago. When it was the pump it just died and no starting at all. What about the fuel regulator.I just dont understand why it died or hesitated before, why would the temp of the engine effect the power or fuel/electrical. I5t must be getting spark? If its running now.I dont know how to check this or the fuel pressure however. How do I address the evap emmisions. They sadi it was prob. Just my fuel cap and very common in the chevy trucks, but I dont know what else to look for or check/replace.
Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 9:29 AM
Here is a how to for checking fuel pump pressure. There is a video that includes how to check the regulator. As far as the temp having an affect on the engine, if the engine was actually overheating, a loss in power is very common.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

You will need a fuel pressure gauge, but most parts stores will lend you one.

Let me know what you find.

Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 10:27 PM
TASOCD65
Ok.I let it idle for a total of approx. 1 1/2"hrs. Driving it around the block. The I went to the auto store got seafoam and oil change. Went home and nothing, worked just fine. When the truck stalled it was normal temp. And I don't know how that would effect the rpm's. It idled at 5000, if that matters, I think that also is normal. Now i'm nervous to drive it out of town, maybe just some crap going through the gasline.I'll check the pressure, and what should I address about the emmisions error code, what should I check - do? I appreciate your help and any ideas are helpful.
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 5:51 PM
It could have been bad fuel. The only way to be sure is to wait and see if the problem continues.

As far as the EVAP, I need to know what code they got. Has the light come back on?
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 7:26 AM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content