2000 Chevy Silverado 4X4 blowing the atc fuse

GUNNER1982
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My truck blows the ATC fuse as soon as you put it in. I unhooked the Transfer case motor and the fuse did not blow. Hooked it back up and blam blew. Ran a scan. With c0323 low voltage or smthn and a g1038 not sure what that one is. Do I need to replace the transfer case shift motor? Or the dash selector switch? Or look 4 smthn else?
Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 8:07 PM

JACK42
They had more problems with the transfer case motor than the switches. If you unplugged the motor and all was good, I would start there, motors are much more likely to short than a switch, at least enough to blow fuses
-2
Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 8:06 AM
GUNNER1982
Replaced Transfer case motor, stopped blowing the atc fuse, but now it will not come out of 4hi. Pull atc fuse and the front actuator will disengage the front, put it back in an the acuator engages the front. When you push the 2hi actuator and motor sound like there trying to engage but light blinks and goes back to 4hi. Removed Transfer case motor and could shift transfer case manually. Did I get a bad transfer case motor or is there something else to look for?
+1
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008 AT 8:59 PM
JACK42
You may have gotten a bad one. They also had some problems with the front actuator, but I dont think that would make it stay in 4wd. Check the switch too, when the motor was shorted, it could have hurt it with too much amperage draw
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 7:32 AM
GUNNER1982
Put on another new TCM and a switch. Will shift from 4hi to 4lo to auto but still no 2high. Im trying to get a wiring diagram to look for some grounds maybe. Im puzzled.
-1
Friday, October 10th, 2008 AT 10:05 PM
JACK42
You can get the wiring diagram here

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

That is a good one, ususally the motor takes care of that, it may have damaged something else when it was drawing enough to pop the fuse
-1
Friday, October 10th, 2008 AT 10:21 PM
GUNNER1982
Back again. Still stuck in 4hi. The control module behind the selctor switch in the dash. Do you know the part number or is it called anything besides control module and where can I buy one?
-1
Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 AT 6:33 PM
JACK42
Automatic transfer case control module is what it is called. It is located behind the dash left side above headlight switch. Have you had it scanned to see if it is the problem? A trans shop should be able to do that
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 8:12 AM
GUNNER1982
Yes we have scanned it and the dtc is c0323 the transfer case lock circuit low. I used the manual from the site u gave me and went through the ten step process it advised for that code and the only step we havn't done is replace that module. As step 9 recomends. How costly is this module and can I get it online? Any idea of part number? Are talking about a scan or a flash something gm has to do?
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 12:37 PM
JACK42
Looks like it may be around $350. Mitchell doesnt say anyhting about programming it. Probably doesnt need it, it is an off on kind of part not like a PCM. Should be plug-n-play
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 4:56 PM