Transfer case issue

GUNNER1982
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My truck blows the ATC fuse as soon as you put it in. I unhooked the Transfer case motor and the fuse did not blow. Hooked it back up and blam blew. Ran a scan. With c0323 low voltage or smthn and a g1038 not sure what that one is. Do I need to replace the transfer case shift motor? Or the dash selector switch? Or look 4 smthn else?
Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 8:07 PM

JACK42
They had more problems with the transfer case motor than the switches. If you unplugged the motor and all was good, I would start there, motors are much more likely to short than a switch, at least enough to blow fuses
Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 8:06 AM
GUNNER1982
Replaced Transfer case motor, stopped blowing the atc fuse, but now it will not come out of 4hi. Pull atc fuse and the front actuator will disengage the front, put it back in an the acuator engages the front. When you push the 2hi actuator and motor sound like there trying to engage but light blinks and goes back to 4hi. Removed Transfer case motor and could shift transfer case manually. Did I get a bad transfer case motor or is there something else to look for?
+1
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008 AT 8:59 PM
JACK42
You may have gotten a bad one. They also had some problems with the front actuator, but I dont think that would make it stay in 4wd. Check the switch too, when the motor was shorted, it could have hurt it with too much amperage draw
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 7:32 AM
GUNNER1982
Put on another new TCM and a switch. Will shift from 4hi to 4lo to auto but still no 2high. Im trying to get a wiring diagram to look for some grounds maybe. Im puzzled.
-2
Friday, October 10th, 2008 AT 10:05 PM
JACK42
These had issue with the encoder motor causing this,

The wiring diagrams and instructions to change the encoder motor are attached below
-1
Friday, October 10th, 2008 AT 10:21 PM
GUNNER1982
Back again. Still stuck in 4hi. The control module behind the selctor switch in the dash. Do you know the part number or is it called anything besides control module and where can I buy one?
-1
Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 AT 6:33 PM
JACK42
Automatic transfer case control module is what it is called. It is located behind the dash left side above headlight switch. Have you had it scanned to see if it is the problem? A trans shop should be able to do that
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 8:12 AM
GUNNER1982
Yes we have scanned it and the dtc is c0323 the transfer case lock circuit low. I used the manual from the site u gave me and went through the ten step process it advised for that code and the only step we havn't done is replace that module. As step 9 recomends. How costly is this module and can I get it online? Any idea of part number? Are talking about a scan or a flash something gm has to do?
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 12:37 PM
JACK42
Looks like it may be around $350. Mitchell doesnt say anyhting about programming it. Probably doesnt need it, it is an off on kind of part not like a PCM. Should be plug-n-play
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 4:56 PM
1994CHEVY
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When I attempt to engage 4x4 the fuse blows and wont allow it to lock it. What would cause that and how can I fix it?
Wednesday, October 31st, 2018 AT 6:27 PM (Merged)
MASTERTECHTIM
There is a transfer case switch located on the top left of the unit I would start there. Here is the wiring diagrams for the transfer case.

If the front differential actuator shorts out on these trucks. Try unplugging the 2 wire plug that goes to the front diff actuator and see if the fuse still blows, if it does not then you know the actuator is no good.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
+2
Wednesday, October 31st, 2018 AT 6:28 PM (Merged)
1994CHEVY
The actuator is located on the front axle right?
+4
MASTERTECHTIM
Yes its located on the front axle. It has 2 wires coming out of it. The actuator screws into the front diff, it has a huge 1 1/16 spot for a wrench or you can unscrew it with a big pair of channel locks.
+1
1994CHEVY
It was the switch once I replaced it the fuse stop blowing thanks for your help I love this site.
+1
MASTERTECHTIM
They have since updated the part because of so many problems. The new kit comes with a wiring harness that has to be installed and I think it cost about $150-175 for parts. If you look around you might be able to find the exact one you have that will unscrew and plug right in for about $100
+1
SRG200159
Thanks you that fixed my 1994 chevy silverado!

2Carpros is the best!
JSIMPSONS8
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Ran truck into snow drift recently, spent half an hour rocking back and forth in 4W-Auto while waiting for tow (never revved past 2500 rpm, didn't really strain anything). Winched me out easily enough, left truck in 4W_auto but put tranny in neutral, only pulled me backwards a few feet to get out of the drift. Since then, no 4WD. No lights on 4WD switches on dash, blown ATC fuse.

A "friend of a friend" hooked up a code reader which reported that it couldn't communicate with the transfer case encoder motor.

Most likely replace the encoder motor?
RACEFAN966
I need to know if the fuse is good now or if it just blows? Does it blow as soon as you put a new on in or not? Is this an automatic 4x4 system or not and what size truck do you have 1/2 or not and HD or not. Get back to me and we will see what we can find. It may be the 4x4 control module behind the headlight switch instead of the encoder motor so lets do some tests to determine which is bad.
JSIMPSONS8
Yes the ATC fuse is blown, it blows instantly when you insert a new one. Ignition switch is off when replacing fuse, blows instantly. It is the automatic 4x4, with 4 dash buttons. Not an HD truck, just plain 1500.

I should mention that the 4WD fuse is NOT blown (in fuse panel inside the cab).

Thanks for the help!
RACEFAN966
First I need you to inspect the orange wires that go from that fuse out to the module and motor. I need you to check to make sure that the wire didn't get damaged and is touching metal. Now if the wire looks good then I would like to you to unplug the encoder motor and see if the fuse still blows. Get back to me and we will go from there.
+1