1999 CHEVY SILVERADO PROBLEMS AFTER RECHARGING MY AC WITH R

• Joedoyle
  • 1999 Chevrolet Silverado

Air Conditioning problem
1999 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 102000 miles

I just got done charging my 99 Silverado with r-134a in the low side service port. Now, when I turn the AC all of the way up the truck seems like it wants to die every 10 seconds or so. This happened immediately after I charged the AC, I let it run for about 5 minutes after and still same problem. I am going to stop using the AC until I get a response. When I turn the AC off the truck runs fine. Can anybody tell me what went wrong? I used the right coolant and put it in the right spot. I think.

Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 5:16 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Did you use are re charging manifold with hi & low pressure gauges, I feel that you may either have a faulty compressor ( pressure leaking from hi to low) or the system is way over charged, have the system pressures check by a A/C tech this will be the first thing that you should do)

mark (mhpautos)

Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 6:29 PM
  • Joedoyle

No, I didnt use any guages. The guy at the auto store sold me a can of r-134a with a valve that connects to the low end. Between his instructions and the instructions on the can I was told to use the entire can. The can leaked as I put it in (at the valve), maybe I used too much?

Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 6:53 PM