1999 Chevy Silverado engine light?

SNOBRDRPRO
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My engine light was on and I checked it and it was the o2 sensors were reading too rich. So I got on here and they suggested to change spark plugs with ac delco, and I did. It went off for a while now, and just yesterday it came back on, this was right after I cleaned my air filter. Its a k&n cold air intake, but I did not use too much oil. Any suggestions?
Sunday, May 31st, 2009 AT 1:47 PM

JACK42
Need to start by scanning it to see what code it has now, it could be different. Those filters take their toll on the Mass Airflow Meters, regardless of what K&N says
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 8:21 AM
SNOBRDRPRO
So I got it scanned and it seems to be a knock sensor and the guy that scanned it said its probaly a bad wire conection. Is there anyway I can check the wire without taking the whole intake off?
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 1:25 PM
JACK42
Only to watch it on ascanner to se if it sees a knock when you tap the engine with a hammer. Those get water in the wells under the intake where the knock sensors are.I would get anew pigtail for it before you take it apart, that way if the connector is bad you have one
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 2:44 PM
SNOBRDRPRO
Ok yea recently I actually sprayed off the motor. Could that have caused it? Where is this connector located?
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 AT 1:25 PM
JACK42
Under the intake manifold, between the cylinder heads
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 AT 11:20 PM
SNOBRDRPRO
Ok how much are the connectors usually? If I have to replace one should I just do both? How can I tell if there bad?
Friday, June 5th, 2009 AT 3:39 PM
JACK42
Thye are around $22 a piece. If there is any scorrosion or contamination of any kind I would replace the connectors, too much work to get back to them if there is a problem later
Friday, June 5th, 2009 AT 4:03 PM
SNOBRDRPRO
Ok, is there anyway to tell if the knock sensor itself is bad? I have another question also. Can I take my cv axles out and be fine running without them?

Thanks for the help
Friday, June 5th, 2009 AT 10:28 PM