1998 CHEVY SILVERADO SPARK PLUG TO DISTRIBUTOR WIRING DIAGR

• lavafloz
  • 1998 Chevrolet Silverado

1998 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I am looking for a diagram for the plug wires to the distributor cap connections. I know the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. While replacing the (crab type) Cap, rotor, plugs and wires, I messed up bad by not labling the wires on the cap. The engine is a Vortek 5.7L 350. It is a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado 4X4 AUTO. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 AT 7:09 PM

• obxautomedic

Here ya go......

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_98k1500fireorder_1.jpg

+28
Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 AT 7:16 PM
  • lavafloz

Thank You. Just to be sure, I connected wire 1 to cap position 1, and so on. Is this correct? The service engine light was illuminated prior to this. I hooked up my Digital OrbitII Code Reader, and it displayed P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected. This was before I changed the wires per your diagram. I believe I need to figure out how to clear the code, and scan it again. Lastly, I noticed a strong gas smell when I fired it up, and a grayish/black smoke came out of the tailpipe. If you think I should do something else, please let me know, otherwise, I appreciate your reasponse and help. Aloha from Hawaii!

Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 AT 8:55 PM
  • obxautomedic

Yes, just match up the number 2 to 2 3 to 3 etc. The smell of gas may just be do to the misfire, so complete the plug wire and see what happens. Your scannner may have a way to clear the codes check the manual for it. Post finding here in forum.

+1
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 12:23 PM
  • lavafloz

Code cleared, no new codes. Gas smell gone, and no smole from tailpipe. All in all, everything works great! Thanks for the help! :)

Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 1:24 PM
  • waterlover

Why does the number pattern on the crab cap not match the firing order?

+1
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 11:31 PM
  • boyko68

Does the diagram also apply to the 5.0l vortec? I have a 99 k1500 with the 305 thats putting out the same code, so if the diagram is also for the 5.0 vortec I will check my plug wires. Thanks in advance

-1
Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 2:19 PM
  • Wrenchtech

If you have a question please start a new question of your own. This is just sending unwanted e-mails to someone that asked a question 4 years ago.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 3:13 PM
  • boyko68

I was asking about that specific diagram though?

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 3:32 PM