1998 Chevy Silverado No overdrive or 3rd and burning smell

JMCBRIDE2002
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Transmission started slipping about two weeks ago. Mabe slipped once every 3 days and just a little slip. Tonight, it slipped a couple of times on our way to the in-laws' house. On the way home, it lost overdrive and third gear. It's an automatic. First and second work fine with no slippage, but overdrive and third will not kick in at all. Reverse is fine.

Transmission is only 5 years old as it was replaced in November 05 with a totally brand new trans. Also, when we got home, although it didn't slip in 2nd, it had over 3K rpms and had a burning smell when we parked. Any idea if this is something fixable or if we're looking at ANOTHER new transmission? If so, how much can I reasonably expect to fork over for this (ballpark figure). I'd prefer to have a fix or a rebuild at the most, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 9:45 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Best get into you local trans workshop as it still may be reparable at a reasonable cost, as for pricing, you cant tell until the trans is dismantled and inspected, as some components in the drive line are normally fine to re use, but if they are unsurvivable this will up the cost considerably, so go get it tested first.

Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 12:36 AM