1998 Chevy Silverado it shakes and has no power at about 55

TURKYHUTER
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have replaced the plugwires. Cap, rotor, tps, map sensor and rodded out the cat. Converters
Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 12:39 PM

WRENCHTECH
How does it run at lower speeds and when accelerating?

Is the check engine light coming on at all.
Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 12:53 PM
TURKYHUTER
It accelerates fine in 1st and 2nd gear. It starts to shake and looses power at around 55 to 60. If I let off the gas it will recover. But I can not accel at that speed. Yes the check engine light is on.
Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 2:03 PM
WRENCHTECH
The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.
+1
Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 2:06 PM