1998 Chevy Silverado Fuel

RICAN79
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Guys I have 1998 Chevy Silverado 94800 miles, I am having a hard time starting it at times. It turns on fine in the mornings. But when it sits for a while I have to crank it 2 or 3 times. I changed the fuel pump 3 months ago, because my original pump went out. Well, I took it to a shop last week. Because I had 2 codes show up PO171 and PO174. Well I bought a scanner and cleared the codes. Anyways, the shop did a diagnostic, but didn't give me a printout, they wanted to charge me $940 and told me that I have to change out the Vortec Spider Injectors. They said that when you turn off the truck, the fuel pressure is dropping to 5psi. They changed my fuel filter also. The fuel pump that I put in it was an Airtex from Autozone. I honestly don't think its my injectors. What do you think is the problem?

updated 7-22-09 I have already checked those items. They were fine.
Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 9:06 PM

But when it sits for a while I have to crank it 2 or 3 times. Check the fuel pressure if okay could be the coolant temperature sensor, fuel pump relay or the fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit-
Monday, July 20th, 2009 AT 1:07 AM
It came up with a lean codes P0171/P0174 could be caused by the following:

A lean fuel condition can be caused by:

* Low fuel pressure due to a weak pump or leaky fuel pressure regulator. (Use a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure at idle)

* Dirty fuel injectors. (Try cleaning the injectors)

* Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, vacuum hose connections or throttle body. (Use a vacuum gauge to check for low intake vacuum)

* Leaky EGR valve. (Check operation of EGR valve)

* Leaky PCV Valve or hose. (Check valve and hose connections)

* Dirty or defective Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). (Try cleaning the MAF sensor wires or filament with aerosol electronics cleaner. Do NOT use anything else to clean the sensor, and do not touch the sensor wires)

Check the fuel pressure should be 60-66psi and get back with the pressure readings. When the engine is turn off it should hold pressure for a while not just lose it quickly check the specs.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 3:31 PM