1997 Chevy Silverado Mass Air Flow Sensor

MARKPU?
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 97 1500 Chevy pick-up 4.3 V-6 engine. For its age it runs, or has been in great running condition. Over the past months I have had problems starting the engine each day. The motor turns over but will not start. A short shot of Starter Fluid in the carb will allow it to start immediately. After the initial start-up, it usually starts properly the remainder of the day. Unless it has set for 4-5 hours. The service engine light was going on and off. I have replaced the fuel filter, gas cap, air filter, and a mechanic replaced the fuel injection “spider system" and did some fuel system “cleaning". Not really sure what that is except is cost more than $500.00 for parts and labor. Was fine for a short time but has returned to the problem starting pattern. Gas mileage has remained steady. Some minor rough running at times. Can the mass air flow sensor be the problem? Can you offer any suggested steps?
Wednesday, August 13th, 2008 AT 7:22 PM

ADRIAN6868
Yes the mass airflow sensor can be the problem easy way
to check this when you get your engine running tap lightly on the sensor with a screw driver if the engine starts to idle rough or stalls the the sensor is bad. If you have to change the sensor be carefull installing the new one do not touch the honey comb with your fingers it is very delicate. Hope this helps.
Wednesday, September 17th, 2008 AT 4:18 PM