1997 Chevy Silverado 97 k1500 oil pan removal

M74CRAN
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

how do I move the front axel to get the oil pan off, and any thing else I have to remove
Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 11:01 AM

Hi:
You don't remove the axle. You will need to unbolt the engine from the motor mounts and lift it to get the needed clearance. Keep an eye not to over lift the engine causing other problems.
Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 11:15 PM
M74CRAN
Do you remember name that tune.I can do it in 3, after you remove the oil filter adapter (to acess to oil pan bolts), remove the right rod that go from the engine to the torque converter cover, then lossen the bolt on the left at the torque converter cover and push the rod out of your way, then lossen the 6 bolts on the torque conveter (to acess oil pan bolts), now here's the 3 bolts, on the front axel right side, there are two bolts with nuts on the back side about 6 inches apart from each other that hold the axel to the frame take them out, then on the pumpkin take the top bolt and nut out (access from front). The whole axel will rotate down and to the front, then turn wheels to the left because the pumpkin rests on the bar for steering, turning it to the left gives it just a little bit more room to drop, this gave me enough room to take the pan out and then the torque converter cover comes out to clean old gasket off, now the oil dip stick was in my way I couldn't get it off, so I put the new gasket on around that first then put it on the pan that worked good, but when tightening the oil pan bolts to 17 ft. Lbs. The first one snaped, so today I goto hardware store to get hardend bolts and try to get the broke one out without taking the pan off because of the rtv, any ideas?
+2
Sunday, December 28th, 2008 AT 7:54 AM
Hi:
The only thing I can say is to get an easy-out. You eill need to drill a hole into the broken bolt, place the easyout in it and try to remove it. If it doesn't work (it should) I've always drilled the old bolt and retapped the hole.

I hope this helps.

+2
Sunday, December 28th, 2008 AT 11:05 AM