1996 Chevy Silverado changed camshaft position sensor now t

WFIELD322
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Since I have owned the truck it has gotten crappy gas milage so I have been trying to do some small thing to help that. I have done a tune up, flushed engine, and changed all filters more than once. I took it to see if there were any dtc's last week and it came up with "camshaft to crankshaft postion coralation fault" now I don't know exactly what the means but it sounded like it was either the cam and crank sensors or the timing chain. So I took the easier option first. The sensors. The truck was running before but afterwards it would not run. I took it back out and put the old one back in and it would still not run. It turns over but acts like there is no spark, but I know all the wires are in the right spot, there is spark and it has good compression. I need to get this fixed asap so any help would be great.
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 11:11 PM

JETSA
That code usually indicated camshaft retard timing is off. The distributor is supposed to be set at 0 degrees +/- 8 degrees. Anything above or below that will set that code. Usually the only way the timing gets out of specs is when the distributor has been removed and reinstalled incorrectly (usually after an intake manifold gasket replacement job). You need a scanner to read camshaft retard to see how far off it is. If it is at 34 (I think thats the max), usually a fuse is blown. Check the Engine1 fuse and the ECM1 fuse in the underhood fuse block for being blown.

EDIT:Forgot. Also while your at it, pull the distributor cap and grab the rotor and try moving it side to side. There should be little to no side to side movement. If there is any, the distributor bushing is worn out and the distributor needs to be replaced.
+4
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 11:26 PM
WFIELD322
The fuses were all fine and the distributor it squre to the back of the firewall and we have not touched the distributor. Just the cap rotor and the sensor. There is maybe an eigth inch of movment if you turn it and about the same if you pull up.
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 11:33 PM
JETSA
What about side to side movement while grabbing the rotor? Not turning it or pulling up on it. Basically you have a round shaft with a bushing around it to keep it from moving side to side. If this bushing wears out, then you will be able to move the rotor which is attached to the shaft and this is no good.
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 11:38 PM
WFIELD322
Well I did not notice any side to side movment but I will check for sure. If there is should I take it to somone who has a computer to check the timing to put a new distributor in it? And should I go have the timing checked if it doesn't? Would something lke this make bad gas milage?
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 11:43 PM
JETSA
Well, if you are mechanically inclined we can work through the installation here, but eventually you will need someone with a scanner to read the camshaft retard to make sure the installation is correct.

The truck you have isnt going to get anywhere near great fuel mileage. 4wd doesnt help much with gas mileage.
Sunday, August 17th, 2008 AT 12:05 AM
WFIELD322
Well I am know I can put the distributor in I just dont have the time. I have a friend with the same exact truck who can get 20 an the highway. When I said bad I meant close to 10/gal. It also will not pull a trailer to save its life.
+1
Sunday, August 17th, 2008 AT 12:09 AM
JETSA
Sorry for my double post. Computer lag.

If your getting that bad of gas mileage you should also be noticing it is running bad. If the distributor was that far off, I could see bad mileage and running badly, but it would have to be way off, so Im thinking that is not the main cause of your bad gas mileage. A problem yes, but not the main issue for mileage.
Sunday, August 17th, 2008 AT 12:27 AM