1996 Chevy Silverado Brake Noise

ROBOTRUCK
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The problem I am having starts as I am slowing down to a stop. Usually below 10 mph. The brakes start to make a grrrring sound that sounds like it is coming from the power boost unit. The truck stops eventually but acts like it is not getting full pressure to the brakes. Letting off the pedal and reapplying usually stops the truck. The pedal never goes to the floor during this time. Brake fluid level is up to the correct level. Reapplying the brakes has worked untill this morning on the way to work when I was stopping for a traffic light and almost didn, t stop in time before coming too close to the vechicle in front of me. Reapplying the brakes actually made it worse and the noise got louder. Any ideas would be helpful. Is there a way to check the booster unit? Thanks Gary
Friday, November 30th, 2007 AT 5:23 PM

JACK42
Is that a vacuum booster or hydro-boost? Usually if a vacuum booster is failing the pedal will become hard to push due to lack of vacuum assist. To accurately test the vacuum booster you will need a vacuum pump or manual gauge.
Saturday, December 1st, 2007 AT 8:38 AM
MERLIN2021
If it's a hydra boost, check the power steering fluid level.
Saturday, December 1st, 2007 AT 9:00 AM