1995 Chevy Silverado won't engage the starter

JOEGENE
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Turn the key on, radio works, turn signals work, wipers work, interor lights work. When I turn the key to start the radio goes off but won't engage the starter. Starter has been replaced, caan start the truck by crossing the hot wire (red) and the pink and white wire. Truck runs but the alarm for lights on buzzes
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 8:34 AM

INTERNETMECHANIC
I'd have to make sure the battery has a full charge and the battery connections are clean and tight on both ends. If you use a digital voltmeter leads across the battery posts, everything turned off, the generic spec for a full charge is 12.6 volts. With the leads still hooked up, have a helper turn the key to crank, while you watch the meter reading, it shouldn't drop below 9 volts, some specs say it should drop below 10 volts. A national brand autostore should be able to load test the battery for you and charge if necessary.

The starter solenoid S terminal, purple wire, should be hot with the key in the crank position? If it isn't, backtrack that circuit. It comes from the ignition switch to tranny range sensor to starter solenoid.
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 11:09 AM
CONSAKA
Let me ask you this. If you hold the key in the start position for a while does smoke come out from under the hood? Please have the hood up for this test so if it does smoke you can turn it off right away.
If you get no smoke then the wire isnt shorted out at the starter. You may think this is funny but I have a no start '94 suburban sitting outside that I just bought for practically nothing that is doing that.

If the above smoke doesn't appear then you probably have a bad ignition switch. Except in your case you said the radio would go off. This makes me suspicous that the start solenoid wire is shorted to ground. Check the volt gauge for signs of current draw. When you just turn the key on the voltages should be 11 or 12. If the circuit is open then the volt meter wont move when you go to the start position. If it does move then the wire is shorted out somewhere. Likely the short is near the starter someplace where the wire has rubbed on some metal or been stretched. Or where the smoke comes from if you hold it on. :)
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 9:40 PM