1995 Chevy Silverado Will not keep running.

CHEVY57350
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My truck started dying on me about a week ago. I got off work one Friday after driving my truck to work and after work to the bank, everything ran smooth. I got to the drive through at the bank and it shut off on me while I was sitting in drive. I cranked it back up, it shut off again. I couldn't get it home because while trying to drive it, anytime I gave it the gas, it'd try to quit, but would still idle down the road. So I parked it and got it towed. I got it to the house and I had recently changed the fuel filter and it had alot of dirt in it. My first thought was the throttle body or fuel lines being clogged. I took the throttle body out, broke it down, cleaned everything out and put new gaskets and 0-rings on it. I put the tb back on the truck, it ran fine for about a minute or so and quit on me. I replaced the tbs, and it is still doing the same thing. I haven't tried anything else, so now I'm just wondering if there are any ideas. It seems like anytime I put a load on it, reverse, drive, etc. - It wants to quit.
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 8:23 PM

If the check engine light hasn't come on, it really sounds like you are looking in the right place. Based on your description, I would say the fuel pump is bad or the fuel pressure regulator isn't keeping enough pressure at the rail. Here is a how to for checking the system. You will need a fuel pressure gauge. If you don't have one, most parts stores will lend or rent one to you. The how to includes directions and a video for you to follow. It will show what to expect from the fuel system as well as how to check the regulator. Follow it and let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 9:19 PM
CHEVY57350
It came on, but it has been going on and off for over a year, so I didn't know what to assume. Though it normally doesn't come on when I start it, it normally comes on after I've been riding for awhile.
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 9:28 PM
If the light is coming on, I need you to have the computer scanned for codes. Most parts stores will do it for free. Check that and let me know what you find.

Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 12:00 AM
CHEVY57350
All I'm getting is a 12 code.
Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 10:34 PM
A code 12 just indicates the start and end process of scanning. Did you check fuel pump pressure and the pressure regulator?
Friday, July 23rd, 2010 AT 12:33 AM
CHEVY57350
My fuel pump works great and I haven't checked the fuel pressure because I don't have a port to check it from. I'm going to try to find a voltage tester today and see if I can test the connections on the TBS and the Map Sensor.
Friday, July 23rd, 2010 AT 6:59 PM
They make a connector for TBI to check pressure. Most parts stores will lend or rent them to you.
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 1:12 AM
CHEVY57350
The truck won't idle to check the pressure. It won't stay on anymore. I think I'm going to test the wires to the tbi and see if the computer is out.
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 6:21 PM
Are you able to keep it running if you keep your foot on the throttle?
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 12:24 AM
CHEVY57350
I'm gonna see if I can get it up to a shop and run it for codes. I've don everything I can think of doing. Thanks for all your help.
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 4:28 PM
Most parts stores will do it for free. Let me know what you find.
Monday, July 26th, 2010 AT 1:18 AM
CHEVY57350
That's the only way I can keep it running. My friend suggests the computer, and another suggests the fuel pump. I put the truck on a diag and it showed no codes other than 12. I don't have a fuel pressure port, but I'm going to try to rig one up for where the fuel line connects to the fuel filter.
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 9:21 PM
They make an adapter that goes between the fuel line and the throttle body.
Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 12:44 AM
CHEVY57350
I checked the fuel pressure and it's reading at 8. My book says 9-13psi. Makes me think it's not the fuel pump.
Sunday, August 1st, 2010 AT 4:43 PM
A little low, but it should run. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? There were some problems with the intake gasket on these leaking.
Sunday, August 1st, 2010 AT 10:47 PM
CHEVY57350
I just decided to go with replacing the fuel pump and it worked just fine. When I took out the pump, it was the original pump that came with the truck. It was 15 years old, I can imagine that's why I was having trouble. I really do appreciate all your help though. I can tell you know what you're talking about, so if I ever have more question I'll come to you.
Monday, August 9th, 2010 AT 10:55 PM
I'm glad it's running good now. If you have questions in the future, let us know.

Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 4:04 PM