1995 Chevy Silverado head gasket failure

KAREN LYON
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
We put a rebuilt engine purchased from a national company into our chev pickup truck. In under 1 year and 4138 miles the head gasket failed and caused serious damage to the engine. What could have caused this. I didn't overheat until the gasket failed and not knowing the problem, I kept the truck running to get it 10 miles home. The concern is; did the headgasket fail for some reason other than overheating as it overheated after failure of the head gasket. I'm confused.
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 6:32 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

There are a few reasons why the gasket could fail, normally it's due to a chronic over heating problem, other reasons are incorrect head bolt tensions and re used torque to yield head bolts, another cause can be the failure of a previous head crack repair. The head will have to be removed and inspected to try to determine the cause.

Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 6:37 PM