1994 Chevy Silverado Won't Turn Over

PUZZLEMAN
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1994 Chevy Silverado 2 WD 4.3L V-6 won't turn over. When I turn the ignition switch on, the battery symbol won't light up on the dash and there's no indication the engine even knows i'm turning the ignition switch. There's no sound of the starter trying to engage or anything. It's just dead quiet, no clicking, no nothing. I've checked the battery (good) and recently replaced the positive battery cable. However, the headlights are bright, the engine compartment light is strong, blinkers work, all the guages work but the wipers won't go on.

I've recently replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor, and rotor.

Also, lately while driving, usually at cruising speeds, the engine seems to be hesitating somewhat.
Tuesday, October 9th, 2007 AT 4:04 PM

DEANO16
It sounds like you have a ground problem I would check your ground wire.
Sunday, October 21st, 2007 AT 10:41 PM
ROSE2933
Also, lately while driving, usually at cruising speeds, the engine seems to be hesitating somewhat.[/Quote]

I'm going to put you out of you're misery so you won't have to go through what I went through. You have a bad PMD (Pump Motor Driver also called a Fuel Solenoid). It is attached to the right hand side of the injection pump. These things go bad so often, and mysteriously they have been the terror of all diesel Silverado owners; until they figure out the symptoms. Stalling while driving, hiccupping then refusing to start, etc. Go to accuratediesel. Com for a good description and diagnostic criteria for a bad PMD.

They also sell a retrofit which will save you hundreds of dollars in repair bills. With a retrofit you can relocate the PMD rather than replace it, in its difficult to get to original location. There are many of these plug-in retro fits out there. Accurate just has a great price and one of the best diagnostic descriptions I found in my search. .

The PMD can go bad on its own, but it can also go bad because of the lift pump. If your truck starts when you install the new PMD, but continues to hiccup, replace the lift pump ASAP before the old one ruins your new PMD. Good luck.

The PMD is the most common part to cause engine failure in the Silverado.
Monday, October 22nd, 2007 AT 10:20 AM
LILFERG350
I had a truck that did that and it was a wire on the wright hand side on the firewall its a black bow with wires going to it and if you take the cover off of it there is a wire going to the back of the motor and mine burnt into so check that and see if that is it
+1
Friday, November 23rd, 2007 AT 7:00 PM