1993 Chevy Silverado Noise Under Hood

CARLOS_09
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My Truck Is Making An Anoyying Squeling Sound from under the hood, I have a brand new belt, a brand new altenator, and a brand new tensionner Pulley, and its still making the squeling sound
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 2:22 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC
Hi Carlos,

I believe you also have an Idler Pulley on that engine. It look just about like the tensioner except that it is stationary.

You can check the pulley by.

Spraying the center bolt with a spray lube with engine off then start it if no squeal then replace pulley. Another possibility is the water pump bearings.

.
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 6:02 PM
CARLOS_09
I sprayed wd_40 on the bolt on the tenssioner pulley and the noise stops but thats a brand new pulley I just replace it wen it started making the noise
Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 AT 9:42 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Sorry for delay in responding.

Did you spray the pulley with the engine running? If so you may have also sprayed the belt. It is possible the new belt could be the problem, have seen that a few times.

If making noise again spray the bolt again before starting. Also when replace the pulley did you make sure it spun freely? With some new pulleys the original washer doesn't work so well and will cause problems.
Thursday, December 3rd, 2009 AT 12:28 PM
CARLOS_09
The engine was off wen I sprayed the pulley and the pulley does spin freely. I will replace the washer to see if that does anything.

Something else I notice is when im doin turns the squeling noises gets louder. I dont know if that means anything
Monday, December 7th, 2009 AT 10:54 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Have you sprayed the belt? If not spray some lube on the belt. With the squeal getting louder when turning wheel could be the belt or even one of the other pulley bearings. If spraying the belt doesn't quiet the squeal try spraying the pulley bearing on the Alternator (even though it is new), A/C Compressor, etc. One at a time.

.
Monday, December 7th, 2009 AT 9:49 PM
TERRY KRANER
  • 2008 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Chirping noise under hood. Is it the pulleys?
Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 AT 10:34 AM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
May be pulleys or a worn drive belt, also a soft tension-er if an auto adjust tension-er is installed can do this, you can remove the belt and start to prove that the problem is here. If so start with a new belt and feel all pulleys for notchy movement, start here.