1992 Chevy Silverado 4X4 not working

SKIMAN911
  • 1992 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
This is very strange, I have replaced my 4x4 actuator about 2 years ago because that was causing the 4x4 to not work at all. But after I replaced it, if I have been driving for a while or it is HOT outside the 4x4 will not engage. Now if it is cool outside and I haven't driven anywhere, or it is the first start up for the day and everything is cool-cold then the 4x4 will engage and work fine. My Question is WHAT THE HECK IS CAUSING THIS?
Really Frustrating. Could I have gotten a bad actuator, or what else could be the culprit? Really frustrating when I have been riding for a bit and then I NEED the 4x4 and I am plain ol' STUCK. Please help
Tuesday, February 26th, 2008 AT 4:34 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
They have since updated the actuator because they were having so many problems with them. When it is inop connect a test light between the 2 wires of the plug that goes to it. If it lights you have another bad actuator. Also there are thrust washers in the front diff that wear out and can fall causing the front diff not to engage. If the actuator tests out ok then remove it and try to push the actuator in the front diff in while spinning front wheel and see if it will engage.
+1
Tuesday, February 26th, 2008 AT 4:37 PM
SKIMAN911
Do you mean remove the actuator and try to push in the hole the actuator threads into with say a wooden dowel and spin one side and when they both engage then its teh actuator? Do I do this with the transfer case in 2H so the Front drive shaft will be able to rotate when engaged by the dowel? I just went outside and started the truck put it in 4H pulled foward then backward and it went into 4wheel drive. The problem is when the truck has been driven for some time? Still puzzling? You think the upgrade to the DORMAN 600-101 actuator would help?
Tuesday, February 26th, 2008 AT 6:40 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Updating the actuator wont hurt. They are known to be bad. Also yes I mean take the actuator out and push in with a dowel. Leave in 2wd and just see if it engages.
Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 10:55 AM
SKIMAN911
The 4x4 engaged everytime I tried today! Again before I really travelled far. I went about 10 miles then gave it a shot. And it worked, it seems so strange? I was reading something about the Four Wheel Drive Selector Switch that is on the transfer case itself, could I have a faulty one of these that is intermittently working? Are they easy to change out? Could I have a corroded one that when it gets hot (from transmission heat etc) not send the voltage to the actuator? Not sure where on the transfer case it is located. Really appreciate your insight.
Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 8:51 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
The transfer case is connected to the rear drive shaft. The selector switch in located in top of it. Using a 7/8 wrench you can remove it.
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 6:34 AM
SKIMAN911
Figures its on the top of the transfer case. Nothing is easy, Thanks tim
+1
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 2:02 PM