1991 Chevy Silverado Ignition Switch Replacement

BREID1966
  • 1991 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
How do I locate and replace an ignition switch forr a 1991 Chevy Silverado w/ tilt stearing. I know it is located on/above the steering column but how can I get to it?
Monday, May 25th, 2009 AT 10:07 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_silverado_1.jpg

Hello.
+3
Monday, May 25th, 2009 AT 10:20 AM
BREID1966
I got to the switch just fine (as per your direction - THANKS!) But with new installation of the switch, I cannot get the actuator rod in place and the new switch mounted to the column. Is the hole on the bottom or the side of the switch? There are holes in both places. It has given me fits!
Monday, May 25th, 2009 AT 5:20 PM
Sorry your having trouble. All I could do is try to put it back like the old one came out.
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 10:19 AM
BREID1966
Okay, I just talked to a friend at a local Chevy dealer who said they always replace them with the key in "neutral position" as well as the vehicle itself. I did both of these and then realized that the rod goes into the side hole, then the rod will turn enough to get the switch mounted. This explains why there is a slight bow in the rod. No one said that the rod would flex with the switch. As for putting it in as it came out, I have a problem with CRS (Can't Remember. STUFF) so I couldn't remember how it came out. Now all I have to do is get it together between all of the rain showers! 5 minutes of work, 1 hour break due to rain. I NEED AN INDOOR GARAGE! Would you tell my wife that? And I am with you about the knowledge of a little.
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 10:46 AM
Hey, glad you got it going your way. As far as taking something apart and then having to wait a day or so, maybe working on something else in between. My memory gives me trouble, as far as putting it back together. Sometimes I take a picture to help me remember. I agree with you about the garage.
-1
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 11:12 AM
BREID1966
Yeah, I always say I need to take a picture of what I am about to do in a case like this but then I get ahead of myself and forget to do it. The old switch just seemed to "pop" out and I didn't really get a good look at it. Any way, thanks for the help!
-1
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 11:16 AM