1990 Chevy Silverado Truck Jerks Under A Load

FIGGYNUTON
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 90 c1500 silverado. I have recently changed plugs, wires, cap, and fuel filter. Because of mileage. Now after I replaced those things I have a jerking problem. It usually runs fine in town at moderate speeds. But when I get on a hill with a little incline it starts to jerk a bit. But if I let of of the gas and start back on, the jerking eases away. If I manually shift to a lower gear like drive or 2 gear it usually gos away. *Note it usually jerks in overdrive.

I was thinking maybe the torque converter or the fuel pump. But at this point im stumped. Please help me here.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 2:49 AM

BMRFIXIT
I would suspect defective ignition wires
check coil
check firing order
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 5:54 AM
FIGGYNUTON
Yea, I think its the wires or maybe a plug. Possibly even the cap or somewhere in that area of somesort. But if it was in the wrong firing order would it still run? I also noticed it misses every couple of seconds.

Plz respond. You have been a lot of help! =]
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 4:12 AM
BMRFIXIT
Wrong firing order you should feel it missing at idle

drop a spark plug or wrong cap it will also miss every once or so
bad wire will do it too
with engine running check the exhaust is it steady flow or had a suction in it or noticeable interruption
and if so recheck the cap and plugs recheck your tune up
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 6:05 AM
FIGGYNUTON
Yea I got you. On the cap, how can I tell were 1 is? Or 2, 3, or4. I just need to know where one of those are for sure, so I can get a start on the rest. I looked on autozone and they have the firing order for the engine but on the cap its kind of confusing because it is offset.
If you know what I mean.

I was thinking of getting a in line plug wire tester. Would this be a smart move?
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 9:13 PM
BMRFIXIT
Spark tester is good tool to have for sure

what do u have for engine size
you can also find # 1 CYLINDER BY PLACING CYLINDER #1 at top dead center in compression stroke
rotor inside the cap should be very close to spark plug wire pin # 1
use an ohm meter test the ignition wires

good luck
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 1:10 PM
FIGGYNUTON
Ok, thank you for all of your help and advise. You've done wonders for me. But I have one very last question:when it starts to jerk theres always a noise that accures with it. Its almost like a pulley bearing sqweeling. Not to mention I just replaced the tensioner pulleys because of a surpentine belt problem. I went through 2 belts in the matter of 3 days. So I looked into it, and I saw the puleeys were worn, pitted, and grooved so I replaced those with some junk-yard pulleys. And havnt had any problems since. And that was About a month ago. But other than that you pretty much got my problem pin pointed I believe. Thanks for your help.
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 8:22 AM