1989 Chevy Silverado oil leak, antifreeze loss, backfiring

TBARTON
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My truck is running so rough, when its really cold outside I have to sit in the truck for about 20 min keepin on the gas before she'll run by herself? My big curiosity is that Im leaking ALOT of oil, @ least I got under & it looks like the oil pan @ one time was patched & is leaking from there, but I just filled truck w/antifreeze last week (give or take few days) & last night it took another gallon of coolant? But no visible leak under truck? Where the heck is it going? Also, my truck backfires every start until it warms up, & black smoke & stuff blowing all over ground from exhaust? I think I have got more problems than I want to tackle, but its my only rig for now, have any suggestions? Other than getting rid of her! Hahaha Thanks~Tina
Saturday, January 31st, 2009 AT 4:37 PM

1. Antifeeze disappearing and no actual leak sounds like its burning up in the combustion chamber. Get it block and pressure tested to rule out the headgasket/cracked head/block. Do you have coolant in oil and oil in coolant

2. Oil leak best fix that real quickie or its gonna end up locking the engine when it runs dries

3. Get the fuel pressure check and the idle air control valve, CTS/TPS/MAF/MAP sensors
Saturday, January 31st, 2009 AT 5:30 PM