1989 Chevy Silverado Light comes on, engine runs rough, the

COUNTRY@HEART
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hello, I'm having problems with my 1989 Chevy Silverado 1500. This truck has 112,000 miles and I have kept it well maintained, but it dies while you're driving down the road. It has a propane system that I installed, but the problem occurs while running on gasoline or propane: the "service engine soon" light comes on, the engine starts running rough, like "dieseling", and a few minutes later the truck will die. If you pull over and shut it off until the engine is cool you can get back on the road and it's fine. It only has this problem once in awhile, not all the time, and I have checked and changed every filter, valve, and line I can think of. Computer codes didn't help, and I've been to 3 mechanics. The truck does burn a bit if oil in the exhaust when you fist start it, and the heat gauge reads at 210 degrees when it has trouble, which is a bit higher then normal even with plenty of coolant. Someone suggested to check a exhaust valve, or the distributor/ignition module. Any ideas?
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 9:19 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

What you are describing is pretty instintive of the Ignition Control Module. And with that year it does not throw out any codes or turn on the engine light.

.
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 9:33 PM
COUNTRY@HEART
The codes that came up where all wrong, so that makes sense. But the light does come on. Could that still be it? Is it a "simple" fix? How much am I looking at to replace it? And is it something I can do myself?
Thanks for replying!
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 9:49 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
You would be looking at $80 - $100 for the part. It is mounted inside the distributor but you should be able to do the job yourself.

Before you do anything, what were the codes you got?

Depending on the codes and defs they could indicate another problem or lead me to something esle.

.
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 10:09 PM
COUNTRY@HEART
Ok, um two codes came up: one pointed to the "environmental regulator", saying it was not working (we had to bypass it when we put in the propane system) and the other code came up as the "fuel regulator" which we had checked and cleaned on both the propane and gasoline systems.

Side note: my father recommended checking the silicon compound on the ignition module. The idea being if the module got too hot and there was little/no silicon, the lack of heat distribution would burn up the part and shut down the engine. Or the computer would read the problem, and kill the engine. When I checked the part, it does indeed lack the silicon on the metal plate. It had dried out and flaked off a long time ago.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 12:25 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, then I would say that your problem with the engine shutting down is with the Control Module.

Well, I don't know much about the propane systems, but the fuel pressure regulator you would usually change, usually when you have a problem with fuel pressure the diaphram and or the spring go bad and are in need of replacement.

.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 6:45 PM
COUNTRY@HEART
Ok, thank you! I changed the part last night and test drove the truck this morning. It seems to be doing much better! And no light. I really appreciate your quick responce, thank you very much!
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 9:48 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
You are very welcome.
Thursday, August 20th, 2009 AT 8:39 PM

Related Engine Runs Rough Content

VIDEO