'02 Silverado Auto trans starts off in 2nd gear - not 1st

I've got a 2002 Chevy Silverado C1500 (2WD) with the 5.3L V-8 and 4-speed automatic tranny and the HD suspension and towing package (not that I tow anything with it) and only 46,000 miles.

I noticed today that the auto trans will not start off in 1st gear. I disconnected the battery for 1 - 2 minutes in hopes of resetting the PCM, ECM or whatever - to no avail. It's still starting off in 2nd gear. No "Check Engine" or other message in the message center.

I also tried to manually shift the tranny into 1st, but it still starts off in 2nd gear.

Any thoughts as to what might be the problem?

Thanks - Paul

Monday, April 16th, 2007 AT 5:38 PM

The day after I posted this the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Went to Autozone and they hooked up their OBD II diagonostic computer which found trouble code "P0751" - "1-2 shift solenoid stuck off" or "1-2 shift solenoid circuit fault".

The rep told me that altho they don't sell auto trans parts like this one, he knew of a transmission supply company in Raleigh that would have one. He gave me their address & phone #.

Skeptical that I could repair this on my own, I called them up and asked if they had one for my tranny and he said yes. I then asked how difficult it was to replace and he said it was no big deal - "Come on over and I'll tell you what's involved".

Got over there and the solenoid was on $12 - $13. He said to drop the drain pan, pull the filter, and showed me which solenoid was the one to replace. (The 1-2 shift solenoid is identical to the 3-4 shift solenoid.)

Went ahead and bought a new filter, pan gasket, and trans fluid while I was there. Total cost - about $75.00 including a repair manual. Went home and pulled the pan. Sure enough, a disassembly of the solenoid revealed a tiny piece of metal that prevented the check valve ball from seating properly, which allowed fluid to continue to flow thru the solenoid-activated valve when it tried to shut off.

I installed the new solenoid, trans filter and gasket, refilled it with fluid, and presto! Works like a charm!

I saved myself approx. $300 - $400 a trans shop would have charged. And you know they would have tried to talk me into add'l charges for a complete overhaul with the line "We won't warranty anything we do to it w/o doing a complete rebuild" even though the truck only has 48,000 miles.

Fixed it myself - and lovin' it :D

Friday, April 20th, 2007 AT 10:38 AM