00 SILVERADO WARPED BRAKE ROTORS

• rickmohr
  • 2000 Chevrolet Silverado

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4
Brake rotors warp causing shuddering stops.
Mechanic says there's not enough meat there to turn them. Replaced with new OEM rotors. New ones warped too.

I'm not hard on brakes! I don't ride them. I have always gotten (and still do get) excellent mileage out of brakes and tires on all my other vehicles (I currently have 5).

Is there a better quality non-OEM replacement rotor available?

Thanks!
Rick

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 5:16 PM

• BMRFIXIT

How are the back brakes? Have you checked them? If the back ones are not working then your putting too much pressure on the front ones and thats causing the warping.

Good luck let us know!

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 5:28 PM
  • rickmohr

Oops, I forgot to mention.
The rotors that warped last time, the rotors we replaced were on the rear axle. The fronts were fine.

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 9:18 PM
  • BMRFIXIT

Do you use the E BRAKE
after a long ride rotor get hot

did you check the caliper sliders

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 9:36 PM
  • rickmohr

No, I rarely use the e-brake, and never with hot rotors.
(I was taught not to do that when I got my pilots license. Airplane rotors are very sensitive to that!)
Rick

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 9:45 PM
  • cup1981
  • 137 posts

First we need to clear up that "warping" of a rotor typically does not happen on regular passenger cars. You will see it only in extreme cases (i.E. Airplanes and auto racing). Driving your truck normally will not cause rotor warping.

What you are feeling is hot-spotting. This is where a hot section of the rotor causes a small amount of friction material to bond to the rotor. I would suggest changing to a higher grade of brake pad that dissipates heat better (i.E. Premium semi-metallics or ceramics). Then have the rotor resurfaced.

You should be able to get at least one cut from the rotor, unless the run-out is extremely bad.

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 2:12 AM