00 WARPED BRAKE ROTORS

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

rickmohr

October, 3, 2007 AT 5:16 PM

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4
Brake rotors warp causing shuddering stops.
Mechanic says there's not enough meat there to turn them. Replaced with new OEM rotors. New ones warped too.

I'm not hard on brakes! I don't ride them. I have always gotten (and still do get) excellent mileage out of brakes and tires on all my other vehicles (I currently have 5).

Is there a better quality non-OEM replacement rotor available?

Thanks!
Rick

BMRFIXIT

October, 3, 2007 AT 5:28 PM

How are the back brakes? Have you checked them? If the back ones are not working then your putting too much pressure on the front ones and thats causing the warping.

Good luck let us know!

rickmohr

October, 3, 2007 AT 9:18 PM

Oops, I forgot to mention.
The rotors that warped last time, the rotors we replaced were on the rear axle. The fronts were fine.

BMRFIXIT

October, 3, 2007 AT 9:36 PM

Do you use the E BRAKE
after a long ride rotor get hot

did you check the caliper sliders

rickmohr

October, 3, 2007 AT 9:45 PM

No, I rarely use the e-brake, and never with hot rotors.
(I was taught not to do that when I got my pilots license. Airplane rotors are very sensitive to that!)
Rick

cup1981

March, 2, 2011 AT 2:12 AM

First we need to clear up that "warping" of a rotor typically does not happen on regular passenger cars. You will see it only in extreme cases (i.E. Airplanes and auto racing). Driving your truck normally will not cause rotor warping.

What you are feeling is hot-spotting. This is where a hot section of the rotor causes a small amount of friction material to bond to the rotor. I would suggest changing to a higher grade of brake pad that dissipates heat better (i.E. Premium semi-metallics or ceramics). Then have the rotor resurfaced.

You should be able to get at least one cut from the rotor, unless the run-out is extremely bad.

Steering Wheel Shakes? Rotors Could Be Warped
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly