Won't turn over

PHOTOFIENDS
  • CHEVROLET S-10
2001 Chevy S10 Xtreme 2.2 4cyl w/ 64000 miles. My problem is that when I turn the key to the start position, the engine doesn't even try to turn over. All of the electrical indications on the dash seem to work just fine and the lights work and don't dim when trying to start. There just isn't any response from the engine itself. No noise at all. It started as an off and on thing, and have been trying to figure it out myself. I had the battery and the starter tested, and both tested positive (works great). When my truck does start, it starts with no hesitation or roughness. It's becoming a more frequent thing and I'm worried that it might decide to not start at all. I replaced the battery and the alternator about 4 months ago due to the alternator failing. Does anybody have any idea what this might be?
Wednesday, September 19th, 2007 AT 6:47 AM

The engine doesn't even try to turn over: 1. Does it crank over and refuses to start or 2. Nothing happens when you turn the key to start?

2. Sounds like a probable cause with ignition switch starting circuit/neutral safety switch/starter relay or we're right back to a no good starter.

1. Ignition and fuel system possible problems.
Wednesday, September 19th, 2007 AT 7:02 AM
PHOTOFIENDS
Thanks for the suggestions. As for what it does when you turn the key. Nothing. All the interior gauges and lights come on, but the truck doesn't even make a noise. No clicking like a bad starter usually does, not even a single click like it's trying.
Wednesday, September 19th, 2007 AT 8:51 PM
At the starter solenoid there's small terminal mark S with a purple wire maybe no sure now a days on its color. Turn key to start position and check that wire for power-power there you have a problem with the starter. Do this and we'll take it 1X1 all the way to the ignition switch.
Thursday, September 20th, 2007 AT 2:40 PM
NARLY
I have the same problem now on an 02 s10. What was the solution above. Battery starter and neutral safety switch check good.
Friday, June 17th, 2016 AT 4:47 PM